Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

OEM fog lights; 900 kinds of f*cked!

Old 06-01-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation OEM fog lights; 900 kinds of f*cked!

Barring useful insight from the board, I'm nine hundred kinds of f*cked...

Here's the scene this afternoon: during OEM fog light installation (I'm adding them to an X that didn't come from the factory with them), I unbolted the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) and proceeded to give a good yank on the wires from the D Connector rather than doing what some forumites have done, namely splicing into the white/orange and white/yellow wires. Well, the wires broke off inside the D Connector!

(That I was surprised is surprsing in and of itself, I'm sure. Hellooo? Idiot?)

Despite boogering up a perfectly good (and delicate!) piece of electrical equipment under the hood of my beloved JK, my Jeep still runs and would appear to be unaffected by the mauled wires (other threads indicate these wires aren't used on non-fog light equipped Wranglers). That's the good news.

The bad news is, I'm in the unenviable position of making a terrible choice:
  1. Eat a $108 pair of brand new Mopar fog lights (at least they fill the holes in my ARB front bumper).
  2. Pay my local stealership their shop rate x God only knows how many hours + parts to replace the D Connector, plug in the wiring for the fog lights, and perform the flash required to make the lights work.
Thoughts?

Last edited by opdsgt; 06-01-2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-01-2009, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you can find one or not but there is a little tool that is made to be inserted into the connector and pull out the existing wires. If you could find one you could pull the wires out and splice them all back together.

That's why i spliced mine. I tried taking the wires out and felt like I was going to break something. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

sorry to hear that...we could try to brighten your day by trying to list 900 kinds of F**K
Old 06-03-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Ha!

I'm working on a solution. I'll let you guys know what's what when I get through my workaround...
Old 06-03-2009, 07:25 AM
JK Junkie

I think me an doc307 have the same thing in mind. My wife is the pointy head but I ripped enough wires out of aircraft components and watched the specs come and fix my carnage. Head to your local radio shack and look for a pin extractor tool. Should be able to get the pin out, repair what you boogered up and insert it back in the connector.

This is what I remember my wife going and buying cause the AF would rather buy new furniture every year then tools ht tp://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062447
Old 06-03-2009, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

I tried one of those on my JK last night. No dice. The only remedy, since you can't source the D Connector by itself, is a $378 headlight/fog light/turn signal loom from Mopar.

Looks like I'll be treating my Mopar fogs like they are aftermarket pieces and I'll be putting a switch in the dash.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:19 AM
JK Junkie

Ahh crap....well it was worth a shot. No junkyards nearby that might have a wrecked JK you can scrounge from?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 AM
JK Super Freak

That isn't a bad idea!
Old 06-03-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Freak

You can't take a pic of the connector. Did you break the plastic plug itself. Did you push the pin back out of the connector hole. I have seen epoxy used to hold pins in. If you can trace the wire to the other side of the connector. Cut it out of there and splice it together. Cut the wire about 1/2 inch on each wire then twist them together and solder them. Clean it up with alcohol and put heat shrink on it. You want ever have to worry about it again.

Last edited by Jusaplaya; 06-03-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

I can't get to the other side per se because the pin disappears into the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module). You know what I might be able to do though... based on your brainstorming, I could carefully bore out the holes, run wire directly to the pin, solder said wire onto said pins, then use a quick-disconnect in case I have to pull the TIPM off again sometime down the road.

Quick Reply: OEM fog lights; 900 kinds of f*cked!