Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Which OEM NAV unit should I look for when replacing RES?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which OEM NAV unit should I look for when replacing RES?

I have a 2012 JKU Sport. It has the Connectivity package and Uconnect, SAT, etc.

I want to replace my stock 130 RES with one of the NAV units.

SO, RHR, RHB, or RER?

I know it must be high speed. I have read that there may be a difference in the antenna for the NAV and SAT in one vs. another. For example, one may use my existing SAT antenna for both NAV and SAT, but another may not, and i will have to add the antenna.

I would like to keep it as simple as possible, and if I could just plug and play without having to add anything, that would be ideal.

Has anyone already tackled this or know enough about it that can give me some advice?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

if anyone is interested, it looks like the RHB is plug and play on a 2012.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Nice, I want to upgrade my 12 to the nav also.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RHB plugs right in

Had the same setup and bought an RHB nice !!!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Hi all I'm now very confused. I thought the RHR was the only one that would work on a 2012 wrangler. What is the difference between the RHB and the RHR? I know I need a high speed. But, what is the correct model?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Both the rhr and rhb are basically plug and play. The rhr has Uconnect built-in, so that would make your previous system redundant. That also means you would need to rewire your microphone or install a new one....and the accessory USB that currently runs into your Uconnect module. The rhb would be the easiest to install and you still utilize your current mic and Uconnect system (that's what I did). There are differences in the feature set between the 2 radios though, so you may find it worth it for the little extra effort. Check out wk2jeeps dot com for an explanation. Keep in mind too, that if you install a radio out of a 2012 you will need a security code. You'll probably also need a starscan tool or your dealer to activate your vin in the new radio. The antenna in the 2012 (and other years?) is both gps and Sirius, so you'll be fine there.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I currently have the RER unit in my 2012 jeep. Everything works fine except the steering wheel controls for the uconnect and phone. The original radio was the 130 with uconnect. So, I know that the module for the 130 is redundant. I need to figure out the wiring to make the mic work or just get the mopar mic kit. Or sell the RER and get a RHR and I'm done. But, I'm not sure that I want to spend over $1000 for a radio. I could go aftermarket and get the Pioneer AVIC 130bt ( I have this in my ford escape). But, I don't want to lose all of my steering wheel controls. I have to tell you its a far cry from my 53 jeep.

Does anybody want to trade a RER for an RHR?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1953M38A1
Thanks for the reply. I currently have the RER unit in my 2012 jeep. Everything works fine except the steering wheel controls for the uconnect and phone. The original radio was the 130 with uconnect. So, I know that the module for the 130 is redundant. I need to figure out the wiring to make the mic work or just get the mopar mic kit. Or sell the RER and get a RHR and I'm done. But, I'm not sure that I want to spend over $1000 for a radio. I could go aftermarket and get the Pioneer AVIC 130bt ( I have this in my ford escape). But, I don't want to lose all of my steering wheel controls. I have to tell you its a far cry from my 53 jeep.

Does anybody want to trade a RER for an RHR?
There is no reason you will lose the steering wheel controls with the pioneer. There are units that allow u to keep that ability with any aftermarket radio. I actually just installed one for a customer in his 2012 ram and he gave me his rhr radio. I threw it in my 08 jk for a while bought the mic and nav/sirius ant gonna see how it works. Might be selling if for 800 as a package on here real soon though.

Quick Reply: Which OEM NAV unit should I look for when replacing RES?