Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Please help... OTRATTW switches

Old 01-10-2013, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help... OTRATTW switches

Ok guys I have no experience with this sort of stuff so I'm asking y'all's help. Could somebody do a quick run down of what to connect to where? I have the Contura V switches and some Blitz Pro LED light bars! Any help as to what needs to be connected to the battery and how do I tap into the dash lights so they come on with those. Here are some pictures of what I have.

I guess my questions are which numbered pins do I hook to the battery and which ones go to the light and which ones go to the dash lights. (I believe it's the orange with grey stripe wire behind the HVAC).. Thank you guys for any help!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3151272324.jpg
Views:	3879
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	408073   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2285355953.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	408075  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

8 and 2 goes to a switched source like the one you mentioned. 7 and 6 gets grounded. 3 goes to relay's + which is labeled on the relay.

then the relay goes to the light, battery, ground, and switched source or high beam.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Dirty JK
Ok guys I have no experience with this sort of stuff so I'm asking y'all's help. Could somebody do a quick run down of what to connect to where? I have the Contura V switches and some Blitz Pro LED light bars! Any help as to what needs to be connected to the battery and how do I tap into the dash lights so they come on with those. Here are some pictures of what I have.

I guess my questions are which numbered pins do I hook to the battery and which ones go to the light and which ones go to the dash lights. (I believe it's the orange with grey stripe wire behind the HVAC).. Thank you guys for any help!
Hi. I think you need to step back and think about how do YOU want them to work.

There are a few different ways these can be wired up and function differently too.

What I'm getting at as an example:

You have 2 lights in the switch, do you want one of them to come on and dim with the dash lights and the other to come on when the switch is turned on regardless of if the dash lights are on or not?

Do you want the led bar to come on whenever the switch is on or only if your side markers are on or the key is turned on?

Different answers to these questions will change how you wire up your switch and lights.

Let us know, and we can try to help better.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CBrNoMore

Hi. I think you need to step back and think about how do YOU want them to work.

There are a few different ways these can be wired up and function differently too.

What I'm getting at as an example:

You have 2 lights in the switch, do you want one of them to come on and dim with the dash lights and the other to come on when the switch is turned on regardless of if the dash lights are on or not?

Do you want the led bar to come on whenever the switch is on or only if your side markers are on or the key is turned on?

Different answers to these questions will change how you wire up your switch and lights.

Let us know, and we can try to help better.
Hey thanks CBrNoMore,

What you described the first time about dimming with the other lights however also coming on whenever would be awesome if possible!! And only when the key is on. I just an kinda weary about which wire to tap into, and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions. Sorry I wasn't specific enough the first time.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tackling this setup myself at the moment but with 4 switches on my A Pillar... So far i have the a wire coming from hvac, the orange w/grey stripe wire to the #8 slot that i daisy chained to my other switches. Next I have both #7 & #6 slot chained together then daisy chained to the next switches 6 & 7 slots, then i grounded it out. Then i daisy chained the power wire from the battery to all for switches. Finally i connected my relay/ accessory wire to the switch. I emailed OTRATTW to make sure i can daisy chain these switches together and they told me i could do it with the ground, power and dash light wires but the relays would have to run on there own.

For my setup i wanted the switch lights to only come on when the jeep lights are turned on. The switch covers i got have the symbol on the left and the writing on the right, when i first plugged all the wires in from the instructions provided the switch lights on one side would stay on even with the jeep off. Which is not what i wanted so i moved the relay/ accessory wires to where the #2 slot is and i moved the power over to the #3 slot and now the switches only come on with the dash lights being on. So now only the right side of my switch comes on and the when i turn it on the other side lights up.

I like it setup this way, i turn the jeep lights on and the writing side glows and when i turn on the switch the symbol side glows along with the writing. Not sure why switching the #2 and #3 wires made it work this way but i like it..lol Oh and they are dimmable with the dash lights!!
Well good luck,
Augi
Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Dirty JK

Hey thanks CBrNoMore,

What you described the first time about dimming with the other lights however also coming on whenever would be awesome if possible!! And only when the key is on. I just an kinda weary about which wire to tap into, and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions. Sorry I wasn't specific enough the first time.
No problem.

So what you described is that you want the upper light in the switch to turn on and be dimmable from your dash lights. The lower light to turn on and the led bar to turn on only when the key is on and the switch is on.

Well they say a picture is a thousand words and its much easier to show than just words in this post. I quickly drew up what I think will work for you. Hopefully some other members can chime in and validate it before you go ahead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1414575407.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	408163

Last edited by CBrNoMore; 01-10-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Alright guys I think I got it. That helped out a lot!. I'll post pics this Saturday when I'm doing the install and let y'all know how it goes.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by augichef
Tackling this setup myself at the moment but with 4 switches on my A Pillar... So far i have the a wire coming from hvac, the orange w/grey stripe wire to the #8 slot that i daisy chained to my other switches. Next I have both #7 & #6 slot chained together then daisy chained to the next switches 6 & 7 slots, then i grounded it out. Then i daisy chained the power wire from the battery to all for switches. Finally i connected my relay/ accessory wire to the switch. I emailed OTRATTW to make sure i can daisy chain these switches together and they told me i could do it with the ground, power and dash light wires but the relays would have to run on there own.

For my setup i wanted the switch lights to only come on when the jeep lights are turned on. The switch covers i got have the symbol on the left and the writing on the right, when i first plugged all the wires in from the instructions provided the switch lights on one side would stay on even with the jeep off. Which is not what i wanted so i moved the relay/ accessory wires to where the #2 slot is and i moved the power over to the #3 slot and now the switches only come on with the dash lights being on. So now only the right side of my switch comes on and the when i turn it on the other side lights up.

I like it setup this way, i turn the jeep lights on and the writing side glows and when i turn on the switch the symbol side glows along with the writing. Not sure why switching the #2 and #3 wires made it work this way but i like it..lol Oh and they are dimmable with the dash lights!!
Well good luck,
Augi
So none of you guys had a problem with the CANbus system in the jeep jku? I was under the impression that if i used that orange and grey wire to power and dim my 6 switches it would trip the CANbus and give me error codes. Did you use a relay with that orange and grey wire?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I tied my #2 tab into the side marker lights on the front driver's side fender in order to avoid CAN BUS issues; easy to get to, also.
So, the writing side of the switch comes on if either the running or headlights are on.

Quick Reply: Please help... OTRATTW switches