Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

PLEASE HELP starting issues along with electrical issues

Old 01-18-2017, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP starting issues along with electrical issues

Hey everyone,
Lately I've been having a few starting issues , very slow crank , the morning is the worst and throughout the day it seems a little better but you can tell it's slower. Once it's running it's fine
-Battery is a diehard that's 6 months old checked out fine
-Replaced starter yesterday , still having issues . Alternator tested fine on the meter with 14.1 or so when running
-No codes
-Cleaned and replaced battery terminals

Now prior to this I was having (and still occasionally have ) the intermittent start , where I turn the key and nothing( lights and radio work) and after a few turns I'm good . I guess this is a WCM issue from research
I also am having weird electrical issues like when I unlock the doors sometimes all unlock and sometime only 1 door . I have 2 keys and 1 of them I had to remove the battery from the key because it would randomly turn my lights on and off when I was close to the Jeep without even pushing buttons

Any ideas where to start instead of replacing part by part. Does this all tie together? I was thinking about doing the big 3 upgrade on wiring . Any write ups on this because I'm not great with electrical
Old 01-18-2017, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I get the same thing, can't tell if it's the battery or not. One cold morning it was dead, but it's been cold since and started up. Replaced terminals with the Quadratec ones and cleaned everything up good. Still feels like if I pay the radio more than 5min without the motor running the battery will die again. I've had that slow crank where it sounds like there is gravel in the motor. It comes and goes. Battery is maybe 3 years old, so I mean I guess its getting to be that time? I've been wanting a yellow top for a while now, but I'm hearing those are crap now that they're made in Mexico.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be a bad battery cable they get what I call Black Death the cable gets corroded under the plastic coating . Check all the wires from battery to starter look at the exposed ends and see if they are getting green / white corrosion if so kind of unwinded it a little and you'll probably see the wire getting black inside .
Old 01-19-2017, 10:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by cidd
Might be a bad battery cable they get what I call Black Death the cable gets corroded under the plastic coating . Check all the wires from battery to starter look at the exposed ends and see if they are getting green / white corrosion if so kind of unwinded it a little and you'll probably see the wire getting black inside .
I had this once on a Ford Explorer. The red cable actually looked ok. When I cut through the cable near the battery terminal I only had a few strands of copper. The rest had turned to dust. I was able to cut the cable back to expose good copper, then bolt on a replacement terminal end.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep I bought a Cherokee off someone because they couldn't get it to run good it was hard to get cranking and just ran like crap. They had put a new starter/ battery in it so they figured the computer was bad. I swapped in a comp I new was good and it still had the same problem so I started looking over the wires and found the hot battery and ground wires were black inside changed them out along with a few of the main grounding wires and it fired right up and ran fine.made a couple of thousand bucks on that one
Old 01-22-2017, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well problem solved ,
After scuffing every ground connection, replacing terminals , adding upgraded BIG 3 wiring and replacing the starter turns out battery is bad.
The mechanic said he tested it but the symptoms just kept coming back to the battery so i went to sears because its a DIEHARD Gold under warranty and they replaced itfree

Worst part is the battery was a year old , so i requested an upgrade to a platinum which i hear great reviews but the rep said they dont make them anymore, the new top battery for sears is the DIEHARD advance gold apparently , so i paid an extra $40 and lets see how this one goes

Thanks for the help
Old 01-22-2017, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't that grab you by the nuts 😡 all that and it was the bat something you had checked 😖 .Well that's Murphy for ya he always rears his ugly head every time you work on a vehicle

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP starting issues along with electrical issues