Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Power to windows without key?!

Old 07-28-2016, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power to windows without key?!

Hey all... I've been working more on my toy (89 XJ) lately than my DD (08 2dr JK) but this site has great info!
So I've been searching all over online and can't even find a wiring diagram for the windows on my JK.
My main goal would be to have a hidden momentary switch that would power the stock switches to allow rolling up (maybe even down) the windows without needing my key!

I've done plenty of wiring with the help of wiring diagrams... lol Does anyone have a complete wiring diagram for an 08 ish JK?

I did read that the windows shouldn't have anything to do with the can-bus system, so I'm hoping it's just a matter of allowing power to the switches.
Probably would need a diode so this temporary power don't backfeed anything else?!

Any ideas please let me know.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

A subscription to AllData for your JK is inexpensive, and will have the diagrams you want.

I have not done the following, but maybe it's something you can experiment with, (at your own risk, of course).

You can supply power to the door switches by tapping a ground, with a momentary switch and some wire, to the RUN/ACC relay at the relay's pin 86. Doing so should cause the relay to close. In normal service, the computer grounds that pin. This means you will have power to the window switches without having to add any power to any circuit. All you are doing is making a ground connection.

Anything that gets power through the relay will get power, but that's no worse than turning the key to the ACC position.

Here is a picture showing the RUN/ACC relay's location.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-28-2016 at 06:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Montego (11-20-2021)
Old 07-29-2016, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ronjenx. When I first glanced at alldata prices were really high but then found a diy/consumer version that's much cheaper! lol

I guess I'll have to do that because I was hoping I could just tap a couple wires in the dash that are closer to the switches.
If I do get this working I will probably do a write up. I'm kinda surprised that nobody else has thought about this?!

Quick Reply: Power to windows without key?!