Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Problem mounting cell phone on dash

Old 07-29-2018, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem mounting cell phone on dash

I have a 67 designs phone mount that uses the stock dash screw above the radio I have an aftermarket radio, so the metal bar has been removed and that screw isnt secured anymore. Anyone ever run into this problem?
I was thinking of just gluing a nut to the bottom side if the dash cover, but im not sure if that will hold my phone mount.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a couple of solutions to this problem. The first is to take that factory metal radio trim, cut the bottom half of it off, and bolt it back into place.

The second option is to do like you say and use a nut and washer underneath. That's what I've done currently.

I'm planning to take my dash apart in a week or so to wire up a couple of things. When I do, I'm going to cut replace the factory metal trim. I'm doing this for a couple reasons. One, it's easier than trying to work with the nut and washer setup, and two I think it's more sturdy and will hopefully end some of the bouncing I've noticed with my Rugged Ridge mount.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a 67 designs small ball and made one washer for all 4 bolts to go through. Drilled the dash for the 4 bolts and mounted it. No issues with mine.

Quick Reply: Problem mounting cell phone on dash