Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Problems Following Recall Work - Any Ideas?

Old 04-24-2017, 09:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Problems Following Recall Work - Any Ideas?

Hello there all!

Ok, took my 2010 in to the dealer for the clockspring and the passenger airbag recall. They also flashed the PCM with some update. I pick up my Jeep and the interior alarm that dings if you try to get out with your keys in the ignition is now going off even with the keys removed. Each time it happens I fiddled with it thinking I didn't get the ignition all the way off or something. Nope. I have to restart the car or cycle the ignition several times to get the alarm to go off. It would be a minor annoyance if it went off by shutting the door. But, since the Jeep thinks the key is still in the ignition it won't let you lock the Jeep. So, it is a bigger issue.

Then at the end of the first day my drivers window (electric) started to work/not work. I did not have either of these problems before taking it in for the recall.

On top of all this they put a nice scratch in the interior of my car just below the instrument panel. To fix it requires a new plastic piece that goes around the instruments. I'm letting that go for now.

So, I take the Jeep back. They reflash the computer. I pick it up and viola same problem only this time my drivers window doesn't work at all.

So, I take it back. They tell me that a wire running to the door is frayed and I need a new harness. $500. I tell them I didn't have this problem before I brought it in so I find that hard to believe but it is covered under a warranty so go ahead and replace it. I pay the $50 deductible because how am I going to prove it wasn't a frayed wire and it wasn't doing it before? Whatever. Ok I pick it up and test the window. It works and they tell me the alarm doesn't sound. Later that same day the window is working but the alarm still holds me hostage from locking the Jeep at least 2 out of 3 times I shut it off. I have videos now.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this? I'm at a loss and obviously will be taking it back again. Would love to hear from any of you that may have thoughts and suggestions.

I have tried to plug and unplug the electrical harness attaching the door several times and no fix. It was not giving me any trouble what so ever before taking it in. Please no jokes about how I shouldn't have gotten power locks and windows. I wear a suit to work and often have people in the vehicle with me and these amenities make life easier. Trust me, I still use my Jeep for what it was intended for. It isn't just a pretty Sahara. Well, it is pretty though! HA.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:58 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember reading about issues after the flash update so guys were forewarning to make sure you tell the dealer not to do anything with the PCM.

I'm scheduled to go in for the air-bag recall also. Hmmmmm.....

Old 04-24-2017, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

She is back at the dealer now. I'll update this post as I know more. Tech did come out to talk to me. Told me that the ignition wasn't part of the clockspring recall and wasn't touched. He didn't do the work

So I asked how did he know that? It's inside the same steering column that was taken apart to replace the clockspring. And based on that faulty reasoning my instrument panel wasn't part of the clockspring recall either but managed to get damaged anyway.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:17 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The letter I received from the factory was with regards to the passenger airbag. Since your JK is a 2010 and we have a 2012, the process will be different I would think but I'm more curious if the flash update they did to your vehicle is the culprit of your current issues.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

2010 no option sport and they didn't do any software flash on mine with the clockspring recall. So with just the recall work done, everything works fine. I actually don't recall the last time it had a software update because I tell them, when I take it in, not you mess with the computer- hard parts only.

So it's unlikely it's clockspring related but more likely monkeying around by the dealership. That sucks about having to eat the $50 deductible when it worked before you dropped it off and it's still not fixed correctly.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

Completely agree that it was the flash update. That is where I started however they have been very reluctant it seems to think the same. They have been chasing it down in other ways.

It is a bummer I'm out the deductible and no resolution yet.

Only other thing I can think of is that at some point when they had the steering column apart something happened to the ignition system.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I replaced my clockspring before the dealer had their chance. It's not deep into the column at all. There are a couple clips and a couple screws, then it sits right there in front of them. There's no reason to dig any further into the column. I'll see about adding a picture if I can find one.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

So. Just got a call from the dealer. They don't know what is wrong but they see the problem when turning off the Jeep. They are letting me know they are still working on it but it doesn't look like it is part of the recall.

I said. Sure it's no more part of the recall than the new scratch across my dash was either. But I brought it in working just fine and left with three new issues, windows, alarm, and scratch. So if it had just been one new issue that might be written off as coincidental but three new issues. Sorry but something has to be related.

Ay yi yi. This is also why I always do my own work. I couldn't have done the passenger airbag but could have tackled the clockspring and should have. I didn't know they would flash the pcm and could have avoided that too. Hindsight.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:34 PM
JK Freak

Default Update

Wow, ok. So shop calls and tells me that I have a bad battery. Not even two years old by the way. They tell me that the cranking amperage is too low to continue testing the ignition system. So, now I have to take off work, go pick up the old one, exchange it for a new one (under a warranty at O'reilys), and take the new one back so that they can continue testing.

What. The. Hell.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I received a similar "bending over" at the VW dealership. They suggested a whole slew of parts totaling $2500 all due to a bad battery. Turns out the battery was bad but was under warranty (like yours) and they still wanted all sorts of cash.

Quick Reply: Problems Following Recall Work - Any Ideas?