Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Push Button Start in a JK - Issues

Old 01-26-2019, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push Button Start in a JK - Issues

Hey Folks,
Before you roast me and ask, "Why?"...the answer would be "Just Because". I'm working on installing an aftermarket push button start in my 2014 JK. I'm doing it not for the allure of new tech, but actually for a bit of old-school uniqueness, and that's what Jeeps are all about, in my opinion.
Anyway...on to the issue. I've managed to isolate the ignition 12V pink/white wire at the ignition switch harness. The ground is easy, as well (black, at harness). The wire thats eluding me is the proper starter wire. There are no wires in the steering column that measure 12V on key crank. If I connect to the violet/brown wire at the ignition harness, the starter won't even crank with the key, let alone the button.
I've also run a wire to the large yellow/grey wire at the TIPM for the starter. What this ends up resulting in is starter cranking, but no actual starting (when button is pressed, and key is in the 'ON' position).
I don't quite understand why sending power directly to the yellow/grey starter wire with the key in the 'ON' position doesn't result in a successful start? Also, is there not a wire in the steering column that would properly send power to the starter? I did this on my Ford Explorer, and had zero issues. Is it the CAN-BUS that's not allowing this to work on the Jeep?
Any help is appreciated, Jeepers!

Last edited by jdub79; 01-26-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

maybe it thinks it is being hot wired.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
maybe it thinks it is being hot wired.
It shouldn't...not with the key in the run position.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Google easyguard ec002 wrangler

Quick Reply: Push Button Start in a JK - Issues