Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Question about headlight upgrade

Old 06-25-2012, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one with input?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have not had these long enough to tell you how long the bulbs last - sorry!. Only had it for about 2 months now. I've heard everything from 6 month's to 18 months, but a lot of it depends on how you handle the installation.

Any oil from skin or anything else during install will shorten the bulb life supposedly - I used gloves when I installed them so hopefully they will last longer.

This is the kit I installed with the Phillips Xtreme power bulbs:
Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product
Old 06-26-2012, 09:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to verify something from the original post.

I have a 2012 Sahara JKU and not all that electrically savvy so to be able to plug into an existing harness is a good thing. What model lights did you get (model # specifically.)
Old 06-27-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kbkjeeper
I just want to verify something from the original post.

I have a 2012 Sahara JKU and not all that electrically savvy so to be able to plug into an existing harness is a good thing. What model lights did you get (model # specifically.)
I used a kit called "SM6024J Headlamp Kit for Jeep Wrangler 2007->. Replaces H13 lamp with Hella E-Code H4 Headlamps" Here is the link: Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product

It does not specifically say they can be used with 2012, but I'm 99.99999% sure they can be. You can call the company and check, but the way they install is a separate harness wired to the battery, and has one connection to the stock harness so that you can turn them on/off with the stock headlight switch. it's done this way because you need to eliminate the stock wiring to properly power HID lights. The install is easy and if you can plug a lamp into a wall socket you can install these without having to be electrical savvy.

Good luck.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:59 AM
JK Freak

Question for the OP or anyone that can answer. U mentioned u plugged into the passenger side and left the other side unused. Do you know if it matters which side is used? I have a DDM tuning kit i just installed and the crappy instructions didnt specify which to use. I used the driver side. The lights work but im having issues where the driver side light randomly doesnt work, could this be my problem?.... any help would be awesome!! Thanks
Old 06-27-2012, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ctjeeper
Question for the OP or anyone that can answer. U mentioned u plugged into the passenger side and left the other side unused. Do you know if it matters which side is used? I have a DDM tuning kit i just installed and the crappy instructions didnt specify which to use. I used the driver side. The lights work but im having issues where the driver side light randomly doesnt work, could this be my problem?.... any help would be awesome!! Thanks
I honestly don't know if it matters - it shouldn't, it's the same pin connector. The only reason the harness plugs into the stock system at all is to relay the on/off. Best bet to find out would be to re-wire to the passenger side and see, but my bet would be it's likely something with your kit.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SCMatt
I honestly don't know if it matters - it shouldn't, it's the same pin connector. The only reason the harness plugs into the stock system at all is to relay the on/off. Best bet to find out would be to re-wire to the passenger side and see, but my bet would be it's likely something with your kit.
I think yer right. Tried it tonite with no improvement. Thinking maybe the kit it screwed up, but thanks!

Quick Reply: Question about headlight upgrade