Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Question about wiring and about switches

Old 11-01-2017, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question about wiring and about switches

First off, Im looking to replace the switches that came with my Rigid Industries wire harness (seeing as the backlights failed in under a day). I was looking at the style of switches shown below but I would also need to find a three position switch for my heated seats. Any recommendations? I need something that I can find in an On-Off configuration as well as On-Off-On with backlights for the On.
Bonus points if they are relatively shallow mounting switches as I dont have all that much room where I want them. And a .5" hole size for mounting would be rather convenient too.

Secondly, can I tap into the circuit that turns the lights on when I unlock my Jeep and have that also turn on my light bar backlight? Also, is there a good way to tie in to the headlight switch to have another light power on any time the headlights are on?

And as a bit of an after thought, my left 2 switches on the factory panel are blank. Has anyone ever replaced these with switches instead of blanks and used them to control lighting? That seems like a pretty clean way to install them.
This switch: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...9&d=1410808563

Last edited by AXIS; 11-01-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by AXIS
Also, is there a good way to tie in to the headlight switch to have another light power on any time the headlights are on?

The days of having "tap-able" power for the headlights pass through the switch are over.

Here is a description of what the headlight switch does:

Headlamps - The headlamps are requested when the left multi-function switch control knob is rotated to the headlamps ON detent position. The Steering Control Module reads the resistor multiplexed input from the left multi-function switch and sends an electronic exterior lighting switch status message over the LIN data bus to the EMIC, which relays an electronic exterior lighting switch request message over the CAN data bus to other electronic modules in the vehicle.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The days of having "tap-able" power for the headlights pass through the switch are over.

Here is a description of what the headlight switch does:

Headlamps - The headlamps are requested when the left multi-function switch control knob is rotated to the headlamps ON detent position. The Steering Control Module reads the resistor multiplexed input from the left multi-function switch and sends an electronic exterior lighting switch status message over the LIN data bus to the EMIC, which relays an electronic exterior lighting switch request message over the CAN data bus to other electronic modules in the vehicle.
Can it be tied into to switch a relay at least?
Tying into the headlights isnt all that important but I was thinking it would be cool to do while Im rewiring some things.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Can it be tied into to switch a relay at least?
Tying into the headlights isnt all that important but I was thinking it would be cool to do while Im rewiring some things.
There is no usable power there. It's a resistance circuit. The computer reads resistance according to the position of the switch. Adding a relay's coil to that circuit will change the resistance the computer sees.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
There is no usable power there. It's a resistance circuit. The computer reads resistance according to the position of the switch. Adding a relay's coil to that circuit will change the resistance the computer sees.
I was more so thinking about the wires going the lights themselves.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:11 AM
JK Jedi Master

I was more so thinking about the wires going the lights themselves.
Relay on the actual headlight wires would work.
I thought you were asking about tapping into the switch wires.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Why not tap the wire to the marker lights. That is what I've done. Marker lights are on when the headlights come one, so anything I have tapped to that wire come on with the headlights. It sounds like that is what you're wanting. My jeep is wired for towing behind a motorhome, so I've tapped the various wires running to the back down in the front passenger footwell area. Pretty easy access.

I have lighting in my footwell area and speakers that are triggered off that wiring. Headlights on, nice soft glow in those areas.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
Why not tap the wire to the marker lights. That is what I've done. Marker lights are on when the headlights come one, so anything I have tapped to that wire come on with the headlights. It sounds like that is what you're wanting. My jeep is wired for towing behind a motorhome, so I've tapped the various wires running to the back down in the front passenger footwell area. Pretty easy access.

I have lighting in my footwell area and speakers that are triggered off that wiring. Headlights on, nice soft glow in those areas.
Hmm, thats a good point. I have mine disconnected from when I trimmed my fenders so that would be easy to do.

Anyone got some suggestions on the switches? Ive seen a few varieties but they dont seem to have many specs regarding mounting depth. I might just order a few various samples but I'd rather save the money.

Quick Reply: Question about wiring and about switches