Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Questions about HID bi xenon kit.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about HID bi xenon kit.

Evening guys/gals im new here and just thought id post a concern i had about getting a Bi-Xenon HID kit for my JK. I have already got the IPF 920H4's from Northridge; and i would like to install HIDs. However i have read of some people using a capacitor and diode inline with the wiring harness and others using error cancellors. My question is do i need one or the other or both at the same time. I have searched and cant really find a clear cut answer thanks for the help. Also does anyone recommend any one kit over the other. The two ive been looking at are DDM Tuning and VVME. Thanks

Don
Old 06-02-2010, 12:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Tuning in, I'm in the same situation and there are several answers/solutions. I'd like to know what the best solution is (ie not Mickey mouse/bandaid fix).
Old 06-02-2010, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default As far as I know....

My understanding is that you will only require one or the other.
I personally went with an Absolute HID conversion kit.
They didn't seem to know much about the modulation system in the Jeep, and said I would not need anything to deal with buzzing, or light flicker.
As soon as I installed them I found out quite the contrary.
I went with a diode and a capacitor, and have had zero problems since.
The diode fix is cheap and permanent, as well as pretty simple to do. There are write ups a-plenty.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any opinions on these "canbus" ballasts which handle the issue internally ? The websites state they're plug and play and fool the canbus into thinking they're 55w.

Also, would this issue be illiminated completely if I went with a 55w HID system instead of a 35 watt ? That would report back as 55 watts and the canbus wouldn't be upset, correct ?
Old 06-02-2010, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I can't speak as to the working of the canbus ballasts, but my HID's are 55w. Digital ballasts. They were not a cheap setup. Since I did the diode and capacitor install though, they have worked as desired.
What I found to be the issue was the relay. It would try and keep up with the pulses of the modulation, and that was the cause of the "buzzing" I had heard about. So with the pulsing power going to the relays, they never really let the lights get up to full intensity, until I installed the diode and capacitor.
At least that is how I understand it.
Everything is great now though.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

anyone else have any opinions or suggestions to add. Im just curious to know what everyone else that has already gone with HID is ending up doing. Please add input guys
Old 06-03-2010, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is how you install the Cap and diode. It very simple to do and will only cost you 5 bucks total for both sides. The Cap and diode and be purchased at Radio Shack.

I have been running the Bi-Xenon HID kit in the JK for Over 2 years now with zero issues.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...dlight+buzzing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P3090111..jpg
Views:	192
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	71083   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3090109..jpg
Views:	176
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	71084  

Last edited by whpony96; 06-03-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:58 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jcole
Any opinions on these "canbus" ballasts which handle the issue internally ? The websites state they're plug and play and fool the canbus into thinking they're 55w.

Also, would this issue be eliminated completely if I went with a 55w HID system instead of a 35 watt ? That would report back as 55 watts and the canbus wouldn't be upset, correct ?
No I have the 35 watt HID's on and the Canbus does not like the Bi-Xenon kit. But the foglight replacement is plug and play no Cap and Diode needed.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by whpony96
This is how you install the Cap and diode. It very simple to do and will only cost you 5 bucks total for both sides. The Cap and diode and be purchased at Radio Shack.

I have been running the Bi-Xenon HID kit in the JK for Over 2 years now with zero issues.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...dlight+buzzing
That wiring harness you made there is it going inline with the factory power supply to the lights from the battery or are you wiring it separately on its own. Thanks for posting up im just trying to figure this out before i dive into something im going to regret.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:21 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wranglerx84
That wiring harness you made there is it going inline with the factory power supply to the lights from the battery or are you wiring it separately on its own. Thanks for posting up im just trying to figure this out before i dive into something im going to regret.
You will modify the HID harness NOT the stock harness..So if for any reason you want to go back to the stock bulbs you can!

Quick Reply: Questions about HID bi xenon kit.