Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

questions about triggering Off Road lights with high beam circuit

Old 06-08-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default questions about triggering Off Road lights with high beam circuit

I have been reading around the site and cannot find concrete informaiton on this.

I will be running them through relays, there will be 4 55w hid hella 500s being triggered.

my mechanic said this cannot be done with the canbus system, however, i have other that said the relays dont use enough juice to worry about.

Can anyone confirm that I can infact trigger my off road/moose lights with my high beam circuit.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't remember the technical reason but when I had mine installed they did not want them wired to the high beams. There was a electrical reason though. Just wire them to a switch... Works great!! Sorry I could not give more detail.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
I have been reading around the site and cannot find concrete informaiton on this.

I will be running them through relays, there will be 4 55w hid hella 500s being triggered.

my mechanic said this cannot be done with the canbus system, however, i have other that said the relays dont use enough juice to worry about.

Can anyone confirm that I can infact trigger my off road/moose lights with my high beam circuit.
You can, but you will have to build a capacitor circuit and install it in-line between your highbeam circuit and the relay. The newer Jeeps use a modulated current to supply the highbeams. A relay attached to this circuit will chatter to the rithim of the modulation. The relay chatter is damaging to everything on the circuit.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok, so use the same diode setup I would you to keep the hid headlights from flickering. I want my aux lights on the high beam trigger because it's a pain to be hitting a bunch of switches on the highway. Rather just have them trigger via high beam.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:03 AM
JK Junkie

Ok, so use the same diode setup I would you to keep the hid headlights from flickering. I want my aux lights on the high beam trigger because it's a pain to be hitting a bunch of switches on the highway. Rather just have them trigger via high beam.
The capacitor circuit would smooth out the relay. The power for the lamps should be coming from the battery ( clean power ).
Old 06-09-2011, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Create your own fuse block distribution straight off the battery, Keep the lighting circuits seperate from the vehicle electrical system. Use relays to tap and trigger the high beams. I did a set of long rangs hood lights and a set of rear back up's that really help the reverse cam. Never had a flicker nor ever used diodes or capacitors. Have been working fine for three years.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kojack... oddly enough I have done exactly what you are talking about with Hella 55w Black Magics. I have my Relay triggered off of the wire that is hot (right at the passenger side headlight) when the highs are on, Then have a switch off the relay that always (almost anyways) stays on. So when I flip my highs and black magics flip on at the same time. Tons of light. If I ever want just highs and no driving lights with them, I flip my switch, and then its just highs.

I did not put a capacitor in, I get no relay craziness, no high flickering, no codes, nothing wrong that I can tell. Just my 2 cents... Not saying it's right, just saying it works and I have seen ZERO problems.

If you/or anyone else has wiring questions, let me know. Power/Ground for my relay go straight back to the battery.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bmorejeep08
Never had a flicker nor ever used diodes or capacitors. Have been working fine for three years.
The "cap" may or may not be necessary in the OP's application. I have an older JK. The older models do not use the modulated power. I'm assuming that the OP has a newer model. And the newer model mostly do use the modulated power. Best thing for him to do is just try it out and see if it works. If not, he will have the infiormation to correct it. As for the "diode", this is a safety device for the OEM systems. And you will be perfectly fine without it as long as you don't need it. But guess what happens if you need it and don"t have it.

Originally Posted by RGJKU
So when I flip my highs and black magics flip on at the same time. Tons of light. If I ever want just highs and no driving lights with them, I flip my switch, and then its just highs.

If you/or anyone else has wiring questions, let me know. Power/Ground for my relay go straight back to the battery.
Me to

Quick Reply: questions about triggering Off Road lights with high beam circuit