Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Radio Options

Old 01-27-2019, 12:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Options

So I just sold my 2012 JKUR and bought a 2010 JK. One of my favorite features in my 2012 was the uconnect with the stereo, as it would allow me to plug in my ipod and control it (songs, playlists, etc) from the head unit, and I could just leave the ipod charging in the center console out of sight. I should also note that I'm not a big music guy. Road trips I'll mainly listen to my kindle read me a story, but for booting around town and short trips I want music, and running it off my ipod is easier then making CDs and whatnot.

Now back to my 2010 JK. It has the base model headunit. Can I just go buy any of the newer headunits from a 2011/12+ and use that? I don't really need NAV as I have a tablet that I use for that. I mean I guess it would be cool, but all I really want is a stereo that will easily control my ipod without me having to touch the ipod. Ebay has some cheap units on it ($200 or so for one with NAV, $125 or so for one without).

Can I just go buy whatever and plug it in?
Would there be anything special I'd have to do for it to work as I want it to?

Thanks. 9 years of owning JKs and stereo's still aren't not my thing.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You need all of the wiring on the backside to support the uConn on the older jeep. I looked at piecing it together in the past (even bought the Bluetooth piece and some of the wiring) but for the cost, you're better off with an Android based radio that has Bluetooth built in and such. If I understand correctly, the 730n unit has the Bluetooth built in to the head unit but I'm not sure how that interfaces with the iPod.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You need all of the wiring on the backside to support the uConn on the older jeep. I looked at piecing it together in the past (even bought the Bluetooth piece and some of the wiring) but for the cost, you're better off with an Android based radio that has Bluetooth built in and such. If I understand correctly, the 730n unit has the Bluetooth built in to the head unit but I'm not sure how that interfaces with the iPod.
Isn't it just a module with a usb port?

BT to my knowledge can't control the ipod the same way. It can't access the playlists and such. I actually had an android touch screen unit for a while, and hated it because it couldn't control the ipod. It could access it and play the songs on it, but it couldn't access any of the playlists. Not sure if it's just the one I had or what, but it was too frustrating, and I pulled it and went back to the stock one after several months. As I said before, maybe I'm making a big deal out of this, but I'm so meh on music, that the convenience of being able to unplug the ipod go inside and change/update the play list a couple times a year makes it a very easy music solution.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m looking to install a single din radio in my jk. Just can’t find the right basic style radio. All radios at Best Buy look like robot radios with so many colors. I just want a plain black radio with few options. Any help let me know.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdbwood
I’m looking to install a single din radio in my jk. Just can’t find the right basic style radio. All radios at Best Buy look like robot radios with so many colors. I just want a plain black radio with few options. Any help let me know.
Mine lets me mess with the colors/backgrounds. Not as customizable as a computer display, but I can select button colors and themes/backgrounds for the screen. Go to the mfg's website and find the individual product manuals and see what they say?
Old 02-14-2019, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I purchased my 2011 JKU new it also had a lowly 130 radio. I subsequently upgraded to a 730N with no problems at all. It was plug and play for me. I did not even have to take it to the dealer to initialize.

The 730N is considered by Jeep to be their "premier" system......and they make you pay for it. The 730N will do things like split screen and also has a single screen that gives you a map, elevation, and coordinates on the same page. You can also save (I believe up to a dozen) and name breadcrumb trails. The 730N comes with Uconnect and Bluetooth integrated.

The 430N is considered by many to be the better navigation system for off road. While it will not enable saving a breadcrumb trail, (it can be either turned on or off but cannot be saved). It will not do split screens and the lat/lon elevation is not available on the same screen as the map. The USB port on the front of the radio is pretty much just for uploading pictures and music. You can't even control your Ipod using this port. However, there is a second port in the center console that can be used to control your Ipod. The 430N does NOT include bluetooth or Uconnect integrated within the radio but must be added separately if you do not already have these functions and are considering upgrading to a 430N. Where the 430N really shines, in my opinion, is the ability to upload custom Points Of Interest. You can define the trail you want to take, load it to a USB stick, then upload those trails and waypoints using the USB port on the front of the radio. I have close to 2000 waypoints uploaded into my 430N for dozens of trails.

Of course, there are now a number of third party options that can be a good choice as well. Also, be aware that newer models must have a security code for the radio to function in the vehicle into which it is now installed. The VIN of the vehicle from which the unit was removed along with the unit serial number must be taken to a dealer who can then use that information to get the security code from a dealer only accessible web site. Word to the wise, get the security code from the person selling the radio.

I have also loaded Topo on a laptop and mounted it in my JKU and I like it!...It's a little like watching w i d e s c r e e n navigation. However, it is somewhat cumbersome for the person sitting in the passenger seat (aka wife) so I mostly use the 430N.

KG6SLC aka Eugene

Last edited by KG6SLC; 02-14-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:08 AM
JK Newbie

I advise choosing a factory touchscreen radio for a Jeep Wrangler if you're seeking for a more contemporary option. It is sophisticated and simple to use. Furthermore, picking a display that remains bright during both day and night is a good idea. In addition to the quality, take into account the size, especially if you want to use it for navigation or watching movies.
Old 09-12-2022, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you look at the units available from Cruchfield? The staff also can tell you exactly what else you will need.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This Sony 6000 bundle comes shipped to you 100% plug and play with detailed install instructions...

https://trailseven.com/collections/j...17-jk-wrangler

Quick Reply: Radio Options