Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Relay box and wiring info needed for multiple lights

Old 11-10-2012, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relay box and wiring info needed for multiple lights

I am wiring up 8 lights ( 4 sets of 2). 3 of the sets come with wiring kits and I have to build a wiring kit for the last set. I am wondering if there is a good relay/fuse box that I could use to help clean up the wiring mess that will probably result. Any info is appreciated.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spod is the way to go

4x4 SPOD Since 2005 - The ORIGINAL JEEP Over The Windshield Switch Console - Jeep Power Distribution System
Old 11-10-2012, 11:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The S-Pod is pretty good. And pretty expensive too. You can put this together yourself for WAY less.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

This guy just stopped producing these a few months ago, but the thread shows most of the simple parts and wiring to build your own. I was lucky enough to have ordered/received one in the late summer, but before ordering one, I looked into building one, and the cost to build one was not much different than buying his. So the point is that you could build one for +/- $100....NOT BAD. Then add some switches in the Jeep as you see fit for another $20 to do it simply...or go fancy with the Ruged Ridge A-Pilar or Daystar Console Panel for $60. Still a very reasonably priced solution.

Auxiliary fuse/relay panel
Old 11-10-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by xirtic
This guy just stopped producing these a few months ago, but the thread shows most of the simple parts and wiring to build your own. I was lucky enough to have ordered/received one in the late summer, but before ordering one, I looked into building one, and the cost to build one was not much different than buying his. So the point is that you could build one for +/- $100....NOT BAD. Then add some switches in the Jeep as you see fit for another $20 to do it simply...or go fancy with the Ruged Ridge A-Pilar or Daystar Console Panel for $60. Still a very reasonably priced solution.

Auxiliary fuse/relay panel
This system is a little light on current carrying capabilities for my set-up. Bud it is a good illistration on how you can DIY cheaper.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have similar questions, but didn't want to start a whole new thread:

For wiring multiple switches, can I run one positive wire with an inline fuse and branch it off after the fuse to the switches, or chain them together? Or would I have to wire them all separately with their own fuses? And can I run the switches off the same positive source? I've read a lot of people saying the use the cig lighter, accessory power outlet, or doing the fuse tap.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by spinuck
I have similar questions, but didn't want to start a whole new thread:

For wiring multiple switches, can I run one positive wire with an inline fuse and branch it off after the fuse to the switches, or chain them together? Or would I have to wire them all separately with their own fuses? And can I run the switches off the same positive source? I've read a lot of people saying the use the cig lighter, accessory power outlet, or doing the fuse tap.

Any help is appreciated.
The fuse tap is the "preferred" method for the control power source. You can build your own fuse tap. You don't have to buy one. This single source can power ALL of your switches. Just simply tap the TIPM. Set a fuse. Run the conductor to the first switch. Jump from that switch to the next. Keep doing this for all your switches. This is called "daisy-chaining". You can use this method for the switch grounds. And the relay grounds.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

These GUys are Plug-N-Play....Killer Setup

Programmable Switch Panel System - Multiplex System - Off Road Engineering LLC

Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03HDFB
Cool setup! A few questions:

How much did that setup right there cost you, and were you able to simply connect each component directly to the power module (versus installing additional relays)?

How/where did you install and protect the power module?

Also, did you buy the fitting for the cup-holder separately, or did you have to make it yourself?

How would you compare it to the known ease of install/use of the sPOD?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by palehorse
Cool setup! A few questions:

How much did that setup right there cost you, and were you able to simply connect each component directly to the power module (versus installing additional relays)?

How/where did you install and protect the power module?

Also, did you buy the fitting for the cup-holder separately, or did you have to make it yourself?

How would you compare it to the known ease of install/use of the sPOD?
The Complete Kit was 325.00 to my door. I made the Pod for my Consol

I installed the control Modual under the wiper bonet (For Ease to the power and Ground)...and used 338 Electrical greese on all my Connectors

Excuse the mess....It was the middle of last winter when I did the install. All the relays are built in...and reset with the Key turn.....Very nice system!! Its a Single
Mini-Multi wire from the modual to the key pad and as you can see drom my first pic....you can run (6) separate systems.....plus you can stack the moduals to control
more. Give them a call.....Great guys!

Quick Reply: Relay box and wiring info needed for multiple lights