Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Relay Question and Fog Lights wiring Diagram layout

Old 04-22-2015, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Relay Question and Fog Lights wiring Diagram layout

I'm getting some "spaghetti syndrome" re-wiring my top HID lights and my new front fogs. I have a couple questions.

First, the relays that came with my HIDs were a YL-388-s type relay. Trying to find a wiring diagram for this has been a pain. It has the parallel pins and #'ed differently. First, is this layout correct?

Click image for larger version

Name:	relays.jpg
Views:	3589
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	607600

Then, looking at this picture...

Name:	61lL4vOVn3L._SL1233_.jpg
Views:	2854
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	607601

What is the position of the 30 pin? My assumption is that the "notch" portrayed on the diagram is notch for the latch and not the bottom notch. correct?

Then, this is my setup for the top 4 55w HID lights. Let me know if you see a problem using one switch for both my 40 amp relays:

Name:	hidwiring.jpg
Views:	5231
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	607603

Then, this is my setup for my front 3 55w fog lights. Using the same 40amp relay and 30 amp fuse, does anyone see a problem with this? Typically you don't want to connect 3 lights to one relay but I believe that these 40amp ones could handle it.

Name:	fogwiring.jpg
Views:	1479
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	607605

Thanks in advanced for all your help!
Old 04-22-2015, 06:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not familiar with that relay but the control circuit is connected via a coil in the relay. Use a multimeter to test continuity between the two control pins. That should be at or near zero resistance. Then you know you have the right ones. Assuming it is a normally open relay.

The only things I would do differently from you schematics is run the light grounds to the chassis. This will allow shorter wire runs and smaller gauge wiring. Adding pin numbers would be helpful as well.

Last edited by 14Sport; 04-22-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I'm not familiar with that relay but the control circuit is connected via a coil in the relay. Use a multimeter to test continuity between the two control pins. That should be at or near zero resistance. Then you know you have the right ones. Assuming it is a normally open relay.

The only things I would do differently from you schematics is run the light grounds to the chassis. This will allow shorter wire runs and smaller gauge wiring. Adding pin numbers would be helpful as well.
Would the relay have to have power going into it for me to test it?

Regarding the diagrams, these relays already have a ground wire attached at the base of the relay harness connector for the lights. I already pre wired them to it. Just followed along the power wire inside my light bar to my relay in my engine compartment. The pin #s really depends on my prior question to make sure I have the right setup but good point.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:06 AM
JK Junkie

Not the control circuit. The pins should show continuity with the relay in your hand. Once you identify the control pins, you can apply 12 volts across them and then the load pins should show continuity.

The ground pin on a relay is for the control circuit. If you are going to run your light grounds to the same pin, make sure the ground wire from that pin to the battery or chassis can handle the load. I have never seen a relay wired like that, and I've seen hundreds.

Last edited by 14Sport; 04-22-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Not the control circuit. The pins should show continuity with the relay in your hand. Once you identify the control pins, you can apply 12 volts across them and then the load pins should show continuity.

The ground pin on a relay is for the control circuit. If you are going to run your light grounds to the same pin, make sure the ground wire from that pin to the battery or chassis can handle the load. I have never seen a relay wired like that, and I've seen hundreds.
Really? Google 40 Amp Universal Wiring Harness. Most of these kits come like that.

Name:	71vG3gs+l4L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	10819
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	607622
Old 04-22-2015, 07:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by geis
Really? Google 40 Amp Universal Wiring Harness. Most of these kits come like that.

Attachment 607622
Wow...talk about a waste of wire. I still haven't seen one...lol...but I have seen pictures of one.

Probably because I make my own harnesses.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

FYI: For future reference for anyone else that comes across the YL-388-s type relays, the schematic above for the pin layout is correct. Just finished up my upper lights last night with this.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geis
FYI: For future reference for anyone else that comes across the YL-388-s type relays, the schematic above for the pin layout is correct. Just finished up my upper lights last night with this.
Thank you!

Quick Reply: Relay Question and Fog Lights wiring Diagram layout