Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Reverse Lights / Auxiliary lighting wiring help

Old 10-14-2014, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Reverse Lights / Auxiliary lighting wiring help

When looking at some other things I found this helpful writeup the guys over at JCR Offrad put up concerning wiring. It goes over several wiring options and explains them pretty well...

http://www.jcroffroad.com/install_gu...g_diagrams.pdf

idk, just thought this might be helpful to some people out there...
Old 10-14-2014, 12:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good find! They need to correct the very first line where they say it is a SPST relay but picture and describe a SPDT relay. Other than that it's pretty good.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have, what may be a stupid question. I am planing on wiring up to lights that the previous owner attached to the front bumper. The one thing I am concerned about is forgetting to turn the lights off when I shut the car off....I have been known to be really bad at this..........how can they be wired up so there is only power when the engine is on?
Old 10-17-2014, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not an electric guy, but I would assume you just hock the load wire up to the starter instead of the battery... Maybe somebody here could answer better than that...
Old 10-17-2014, 08:29 AM
JK Junkie

Did he use a relay? If so, wire the control circuit to a switched 12V source. That way the ignition switch has to be in the run position for the lights to be on. They will automatically turn off with the vehicle.

If he didn't, add one. This is set up for negative switching of the control circuit (pin 85) which I prefer. Yours may be wired with the switch on the positive side (pin 86).

Last edited by 14Sport; 02-01-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Did he use a relay? If so, wire the control circuit to a switched 12V source. That way the ignition switch has to be in the run position for the lights to be on. They will automatically turn off with the vehicle.

If he didn't, add one. This is set up for negative switching of the control circuit (pin 85) which I prefer. Yours may be wired with the switch on the positive side (pin 86).

Attachment 580189
I appreciate the help for you guys. And thank you for the diagram. The lights are attached to the bumper and, at one time were piggybacked off the high beams (I assume) that is frowned upon around here so, again, I assume he was mad to disconnect them.

i want to wire it correctly, and the diagram will help a great deal......thank you again.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:08 AM
JK Junkie

No problem. Good for you for wanting to do it right.

That's a single pole, single throw (SPST) relay. Make sure you use the correct size fuse and wiring for the lights. The control circuit, pins 85 and 86, run on milliamps so you can use smaller wire and therefore a simple switch. I use 18 or 20 gauge for that, whatever I have handy.

Last edited by 14Sport; 10-17-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
No problem. Good for you for wanting to do it right.

That's a single pole, single throw (SPST) relay. Make sure you use the correct size fuse and wiring for the lights. The control circuit, pins 85 and 86, run on milliamps so you can use smaller wire and therefore a simple switch. I use 18 or 20 gauge for that, whatever I have handy.
thanks again,

would 12 gauge be ok for the rest?

2-100W halogen lights
Old 10-17-2014, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

10 would be best. Those are pretty powerful lights. Each one is drawing about 8.33 amps so the 2 together are 16.66 amps.

Here's a link to a wire sizing chart.

Amps and Wire Gauge - 12V Circuit

From the chart you will see that you can use 12 from light to light, but the feed up to the lights from the relay requires 10, as does the wire from the battery to the relay, since both of those will be carrying power for both lights.

To calculate amps from watts, the formula is:

Amps = Watts / Volts

Last edited by 14Sport; 10-17-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

thank you again!

Quick Reply: Reverse Lights / Auxiliary lighting wiring help