Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

routing on/off switch wires through the firewall - for windshield offroad lights?

Old 05-08-2011, 03:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default routing on/off switch wires through the firewall - for windshield offroad lights?

well, I bought a set of 6" offroad lights for my Jeep along with a set of KC brackets. However, I opted to buy cheap and bought a set of SRB lights from Ebay for $70. If I need to go with something brighter I may spend more and get a better set... but for now, these will do.

ht tp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=300428991956

anyway, I got them installed yesterday... but could not figure out the best place to run the wires through the firewall for the switch.

where are you guys running them through?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GI-RB200CHwyGAL.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	158405  
Old 05-08-2011, 03:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you pull the side panel of your dash you will see a small circle of foam filling a hole through the firewall. This hole comes out just under the small cowl piece in front of the firewall on your hood (the piece of metal everyone dent's with their doors when they remove the retaining strap). Poke out a hole in the foam and thread your wires through using a coat hanger.

I took some pics, but am having a problem uploading them. If you IM me an email address, I will send you the pics.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Paul had said, pull the side panel off and punch out the sterofoam. I ran my camera wires to the lockpick through there. Didnt switch the hood lites. Tapped a relay off of the high beam trigger because some can be illegal in some states to switch the hood lites.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb_2011 004.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	158419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb_2011 003.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	158420  
Old 05-08-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

I did the same thing, don't for get to add that coat hanger to your tool box - you will need it again - gotta run more lights and switches! He who has the most lights wins!!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeepSeaJK
I did the same thing, don't for get to add that coat hanger to your tool box - you will need it again - gotta run more lights and switches! He who has the most lights wins!!
Haha that should be added to the "You might be a jeeper if..."
Old 05-08-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

that worked perfect... thanks guys... unfortunately I wired everything up... and they don't work... not sure what the problem is... kinda pissed!!!

I'll have to go through everything... but I wired them per the directions... and, it's not like they are very complicated to wire anyway...

I can hear the relay click... but no lights.

Quick Reply: routing on/off switch wires through the firewall - for windshield offroad lights?