Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rubicon locker wiring

Old 05-29-2016, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon locker wiring

Looking for the wiring harness or just the ends for a 07 rubicon. Anyone know of a website that sells them for a reasonable price?
Old 05-29-2016, 03:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mopar Connection Repair Kit

Enter year and model then "locker" in the search box.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubi connectirs.png
Views:	6351
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	648252  
Old 05-29-2016, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Reasonable is a subjective term.

I did not think $100 for the harness was reasonable, which is what it would cost from QT. You can buy the connector themselves, but again, they are very expensive. In the $15-$25 range IIRC.

You might try and find someone that has done a Rubicon to ProRock swap and see if they will sell their harness. You can also reach out to places like MoTech or Fusion 4x4 and maybe one of their customers would let the ends go.

Or you can do what some have done and just get the barrel connectors that fit and epoxy them into the existing plugs and put your own waterproof plugs on that.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:42 PM
JK Junkie

The wiring itself is not complicated. You can even use the lower LED in an independent switch as the indicator. The connection to the connector is the hardest part.

Last edited by 14Sport; 05-31-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the $100 price and was just wondering if it could be found cheaper before I made my own. I'll just start making my own harness so it's ready next month when I do the axle swap.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend of mine wrote up an axle swap on JK Freaks that explains how he made the connection to the locker plugs.

Y90's Rubicon Axle Swap Write Up
Old 05-30-2016, 06:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
The wiring itself is not complicated. You can even use the lower LED in an independent switch as the indicator. The connection to the connector is the hardest part.

No reason at all to even use a relay in that set up. You can simply place the switch between the fuse and the locker.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:29 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
No reason at all to even use a relay in that set up. You can simply place the switch between the fuse and the locker.
Yeah I've read everything from a 5A to 15A draw and that the factory uses relays. Adding a relay is no big deal to me so I would just do it. Tomato tomahto. But you are correct, you don't need a relay.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Amps really have nothing to do with it in regards to the lockers. Relays area just a switch, typically so you can run a lower voltage to the switch. The rubicon uses relays because the switch runs thru the computer and has a much lower volt load. Something like 3 volts at the actual switch. This allows the manufacturers to use smaller switches that don't have to handle the bigger voltage and amps running thru the main power supply.

Things like your winch use relays so you don't have to have a giant switch to handle the big power wire and it keeps the big wire runs shorter.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Amps really have nothing to do with it in regards to the lockers. Relays area just a switch, typically so you can run a lower voltage to the switch. The rubicon uses relays because the switch runs thru the computer and has a much lower volt load. Something like 3 volts at the actual switch. This allows the manufacturers to use smaller switches that don't have to handle the bigger voltage and amps running thru the main power supply.

Things like your winch use relays so you don't have to have a giant switch to handle the big power wire and it keeps the big wire runs shorter.
I'm pretty sure the lockers are 12V but may be under 5A if that's what you mean. My Elocker is 12 volts. Doesn't the factory use a 15A fuse? I don't have a Rubi so am only going off of what I've read.

Anything 5A and under I don't use a relay. Over 5A gets a relay. Just my preference. I don't like running wires carrying more than 5 amps into the tub.

Last edited by 14Sport; 05-30-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Rubicon locker wiring