Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Running Lights install

Old 02-18-2018, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Lights install

Have a question I am wanting to mount two Harley Davidson Running lights 5" to the pillar Mount on my JK. These are 12 volt lights , My question is what size wire do I need to buy ? Also I was going to go from the Battery Hot side to a toggle switch and then to the lights would I need to put in a fuse in the line also or anything else?
Old 02-18-2018, 01:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Whenever you add a wire to the battery positive post, install a fuse near that post. The fuse has to be rated to carry more than the load, but less than the wire can safely carry.
It's common when installing lights to control them with a relay. The switch carries the low amperage of the relay coil, and the relay contacts carry the higher amperage of the lights.

Regarding wire size, it depends on the amperage of the load, and the length of the run. There are many wire load charts on the internet.

Quick Reply: Running Lights install