Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Seat Swap airbag resistor help

Old 01-07-2017, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Seat Swap airbag resistor help

So I fabbed up some brackets to fit these beautiful 2014 red stitched leather GC trailhawk edition seats in my wrangler. Took a lot of work! But theyre nice! Only thing is... I knew removing factory side airbags would be an issue.

So I have read, I need to check the airbags resistance and install a resistor in its place. (There isn't a ton of info on doing this)
My airbags resistance apparently read way differently than the few others who have posted about theirs.

Mine said about 2ohms... if I did it right. So I ordered 10 1.8 ohm resistors. Then soldered 2 in the airbags place in the wiring. Then 3 stacked. Then 4. Each time my light went out for a second after start up and back on.

What am I doing wrong? Can you not stack them (ie 2+2=4ohms) (i read someone else stacked)...
Did I test wrong? Any tips?
Old 01-07-2017, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this about 2-3 years ago and everything still works. The light came on yesterday, but it was from the freezing weather. I pushed the resistors back into the airbag plug, they pulled away with the electrical tape. Hasn't come on again since pushing them back together. Here is the original write up below.

I went to another dealership today and of course they had no ideas for me to bypass the seat airbags. I stopped by Radio Shack and picked up a pack of 10.0 Ohm . 1/4 watt carbon film resistors. I think the price was $1.49 for a pack of 5, I had to buy 2 packs because for this mod you need 3 resistors for the drivers side and 3 resistors for the passenger side. I disconnected the Neg on my battery and waited 15-20 minutes for the power to drain. I twisted the three resistors together and pushed one end into the female portion of the airbag connector on the passenger side, then I bent the resistor forming a U shape and pushed the other end into the remaining slot in the airbag connector. I repeated these steps for the drivers side then reconnected the Neg on the battery. I started the Jeep and no more airbag light, I then went back with electrical tape and secured the resistors in place. I then tucked them into a spot under the carpet to keep them from moving around. I have started and driven the Jeep several times tonight, and so far no light has come back on. If anyone is interested in this process or doesn't understand it let me know? I can add pictures of what I did to include my new mastercraft Baja RS front seats and my new back bucket seats which where my original front seats.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKCOS
I did this about 2-3 years ago and everything still works. .
So you stacked 3 10 ohm 1/4 watt carbon film resistors? Apparently my 1.8 ohm ones arent enough then...
Old 01-07-2017, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Yes, I know it had to be exact or it wouldn't work properly.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you "stack" resistors I'm assuming u mean you are putting them in parallel, Ie twisting ends together. That cuts resistance in half. So if you "stacked" 2 1.8 ohm resistors you just made a 0.9 ohm resistor. 3 would be 0.6 ohms, 4 would be 0.45 ohm resistor, etc. 3 10 ohm resistors stacked would make a 3.33 ohm resistor.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 13_gecko_rubi
When you "stack" resistors I'm assuming u mean you are putting them in parallel, Ie twisting ends together. That cuts resistance in half. So if you "stacked" 2 1.8 ohm resistors you just made a 0.9 ohm resistor. 3 would be 0.6 ohms, 4 would be 0.45 ohm resistor, etc. 3 10 ohm resistors stacked would make a 3.33 ohm resistor.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3054158134.jpg
Views:	1085
Size:	677.7 KB
ID:	664202 Parallel no... should I have run them in line?
Old 01-08-2017, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

I ran mine inline, I'm not sure how that would affect it. Sorry I'm not very electronically inclined! I been trail and error, but using the recommended pages on this site have absolutely saved a lot of time and frustration.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKCOS
I ran mine inline, I'm not sure how that would affect it. Sorry I'm not very electronically inclined! I been trail and error, but using the recommended pages on this site have absolutely saved a lot of time and frustration.
What ohm, wattage and type of resistor did you use? And how many inline then?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

Does anyone have pictures of how their resistors were put together?
Old 03-10-2017, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

update? seems like there is no real answer.

Quick Reply: Seat Swap airbag resistor help