JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   Speaker upgrade help!!! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/speaker-upgrade-help-234966/)

Paul Woodcock 06-05-2012 10:27 PM

Hi guys

I was happy...ish with my basic 2012 system. The sound was just a little biased towards the front.

So I thought I would just try some better roof speakers. There is really only the main line stuff available here in Dubai and I was too lazy / impulsive to order some speekers from the US.

I ended up buying a pair of 6 1/2" Alpine coax. I was going to make some kind of bracket to just make it fit.....

I ended up gutting everything out of the original speakers and converting them into brackets. Took about 10 min with a Dremel.

The Alpine 6 1/2" fit perfectly into the centre and are held on by 4 screws. The original speaker has a sturdy rim where the new speaker seats. Just about any 6 1/2" speaker would fit...... i was going to toss the originals anyway, so felt nothing to destroy them.

The new speaker / bracket combo is an exact fit..... Just like the original. Well it kind of is!!!!

Regards
Paul

Madman7395 06-06-2012 03:15 AM

Ok so I ordered the Mopar Kicker speakers from amazon, they are going to take about ten days to arrive. Another question is whether or not I should polyfil the speaker compartments? and, if so, can i just use pillows?

TJM12 06-06-2012 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Woodcock
Hi guys

I was happy...ish with my basic 2012 system. The sound was just a little biased towards the front.

So I thought I would just try some better roof speakers. There is really only the main line stuff available here in Dubai and I was too lazy / impulsive to order some speekers from the US.

I ended up buying a pair of 6 1/2" Alpine coax. I was going to make some kind of bracket to just make it fit.....

I ended up gutting everything out of the original speakers and converting them into brackets. Took about 10 min with a Dremel.

The Alpine 6 1/2" fit perfectly into the centre and are held on by 4 screws. The original speaker has a sturdy rim where the new speaker seats. Just about any 6 1/2" speaker would fit...... i was going to toss the originals anyway, so felt nothing to destroy them.

The new speaker / bracket combo is an exact fit..... Just like the original. Well it kind of is!!!!

Regards
Paul

That was so unnecessary on an easy install. Glad it worked for you. And by the way....you want the sound to be "biased" to the front for proper imaging and stereo sound.

JK Jonesy 06-06-2012 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Madman7395 (Post 3053431)
Ok so I ordered the Mopar Kicker speakers from amazon, they are going to take about ten days to arrive. Another question is whether or not I should polyfil the speaker compartments? and, if so, can i just use pillows?

Do the polyfil . You can get a bag at Walmart for under $4. You could try old pillows if you wanted.

Paul Woodcock 06-06-2012 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by TJM12 (Post 3053432)
That was so unnecessary on an easy install. Glad it worked for you. And by the way....you want the sound to be "biased" to the front for proper imaging and stereo sound.

Hi

Yes, unnecessary.... if you can get speakers that are a direct drop in. To ship a set of speakers 1/2 way round the world when standard ones can be made to work is a bit more unnecessary.

Regarding "biased to the front"...... that is a 'i love my Jeep' way of saying "totally lost and pathetic in the back"

Regards
Paul

Jeep Unlimited 06-06-2012 06:05 AM

Don't knock the front speakers too much. Mine are holding well to an MTX Thunder amp and now I'm curious how the soundbar speakers would have sounded with some tweaking and real power. I installed the Sony Explode speakers in the soundbar and, frankly, I hate them. I also do not like the "poly fill" that is promoted. It reduces airspace and causes the speakers not to work properly. Sure, a little is fine but stuffing the bar full like people say is a no-no if you want good sound.
I will be pulling the Sony's, and going with a better speaker but I'm leaving my fronts alone until they blow.

Phishy 06-06-2012 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jeep Unlimited (Post 3053616)
Don't knock the front speakers too much. Mine are holding well to an MTX Thunder amp and now I'm curious how the soundbar speakers would have sounded with some tweaking and real power. I installed the Sony Explode speakers in the soundbar and, frankly, I hate them. I also do not like the "poly fill" that is promoted. It reduces airspace and causes the speakers not to work properly. Sure, a little is fine but stuffing the bar full like people say is a no-no if you want good sound.
I will be pulling the Sony's, and going with a better speaker but I'm leaving my fronts alone until they blow.

Do you have the upgraded infinity sound system? If so, it's a big difference in the "stock" speakers. The non-infinity are just plain horrible. They couldn't handle the power put out of the stock HU at a high volume. They are crap paper cone, tiny magnet pieces of junk.

Jeep Unlimited 06-06-2012 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Phishy (Post 3053760)
Do you have the upgraded infinity sound system?.

Yes I do. Forgot to include that....

JK Jonesy 06-06-2012 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jeep Unlimited (Post 3053616)

Putting polyfill in a speaker enclosure actually makes the speaker behave as though it's in a larger enclosure and increases low end response. It's been proven.

Putting too much polyfill in the enclosure can have a negative impact on the driver. You typically want to strive for 1.5lbs of polyfill per sq.ft. of enclosure internal volume (for smaller enclosures).

Jeep Unlimited 06-06-2012 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by JK Jonesy (Post 3054239)
Putting polyfill in a speaker enclosure actually makes the speaker behave as though it's in a larger enclosure and increases low end response. It's been proven.

Putting too much polyfill in the enclosure can have a negative impact on the driver. You typically want to strive for 1.5lbs of polyfill per sq.ft. of enclosure internal volume (for smaller enclosures).

Been proven? Lol. Okay. And I said the same thing, some is good. It's used to absorb sound waves. That's all.
None of my professional PA equipment, my guitar amps nor any I have ever used or been associated with has ever been packed full of sound deadening material. You might find additional amount in reference speakers such as my Studiophile BX8's I use in my studio but that is to help absorb rogue sound waves and flatten the response for editing purposes. Bose packs their stuff with lots of fill but you know the saying,"no highs and no lows must be a Bose."