Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Splicing into dome light to add LEDS, Add-a-fuse didn't work

Old 01-22-2019, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splicing into dome light to add LEDS, Add-a-fuse didn't work

I understand similar questions have been asked a thousand times. I've looked everywhere and I can't find the answer.

I'm trying to add Accent Lighting LED's when the dome lights come on. None of the posts on here say anything about a ground wire, and my LED kit came with a ground wire...

It seems I learned the hard way that adding a fuse doesn't mean both fuses are activated.
I did an add-a-fuse for the M20 (I believe, cant remember but i know it's right.) battery slot, hooked up the the LEDs linked below and both the dome light and the LED's worked, but are not triggered when the door opens. The Dome lights continue to work when the door opens, The LED's only turn on if you use the switch (i.e. they have power but it has nothing to with the dome lights coming on)
So I'm going to attempt to splice into the dome wire instead. The problem is, the LED kit I purchased came with a grounding wire.
My question: Is the dome light wire already grounded in a separate location so that I don't have to ground this one?
Does it matter if it is already grounded and I add another ground? I plan on splicing into the dome light, wiring in the red wire (into the yellow and white dome light wire on my passenger side) and continuing to ground the black LED ground wire.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I04Z7Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-22-2019, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...-221227/page3/

finally found this. Says I should be able to ground it and splice in just fine. If anyone disagrees please let me know
Old 01-22-2019, 07:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I've got LED strips tapped in to the front wiring loom. They're just simple 2-wire (+ & -) tapped in to the appropriate 2 wires in the loom. Should be a colored wire and a black wire if I recall. In my case, I have them tapped to the running light wire cuz I want them on when the headlights are on. I removed my rear dome light in my JKU cuz I replaced that roll bar cross over. that light had 2 wires running to it and I again used only the appropriate 2 wires run to simple LED strip light again. You shouldn't need any in-line fuses.

Quick Reply: Splicing into dome light to add LEDS, Add-a-fuse didn't work