Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Step By Step Installation of Rigid Dually LEDs using BDF Fog Light Bracket

Old 03-30-2012, 02:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Step By Step Installation of Rigid Dually LEDs using BDF Fog Light Bracket

ok so i'm going to do the best i can to cover step by step how to install Rigid Dually D1 or D2 LEDs into your JK Wrangler using the BDF (Black Diamond Fabrication Brackets)

Here are the lights plugged into a battery with the Rigid Factory wiring harness, i like to test the lights before i install them just so i know they work now, so if they don't work later i know for sure it was my fault!

Click image for larger version

Name:	benchtest.jpg
Views:	3294
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	297575

Here are the BDF Brackets before i painted them...

Name:	bare-brackets.jpg
Views:	2212
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	297582

There are more photos at www.photobucket.com/matthewd5

I painted the BDF brackets with truck bedliner spray - i only painted the outer bracket as you never see the rest of it and its all made out of stainless steel.

Step 1. Remove the plastic piece that is inbetween the front bumper and the grill, there are two plastic screws that strip VERY EASILY, if you should strip them you can drill them out pretty easily

Step 2. Remove Grill, to do this there are 5 or 6 black plastic retaining clips, you have to pull out the pin at the center of each clip (the best way to do this is to go online and buy a "Chip Extractor" i found one on amazon for like $7) or you can use a screwdriver...

Step 3. with the two pieces above removed you should have access to the fog lights, remove the fog light bulbs from their fixtures, this is easier said than done, but take your time, i'd like to say it gets easier after this but it doesn't!

Step 4. Remove the fixtures that the fog light bulbs were in using a phillips screwdriver, there are four screws per fixture and some of them are challenging to reach, you will probably need to do some of them by feel and use a very good stubby screwdriver

Step 5. Install your Rigid Dually D1 or D2 lights into the BDF brackets, you want to do this with the slots facing towards the back of the LEDs, if you do it with the adjustable slot facing forward it will not fit (i know, i did it backwards the first time)

Step 6. Install the Rigid Dually Lights in the BDF bracket back into the place where the factory fog lights came out of, take your time, the bracket only goes in one way, with the extra holes facing up, you will need to reinstall the same screws you took out of the factory brackets and some of the screws you cannot see, you will have to do it by feel!

Step 7. Carefully cut off the factory clip that connected to the factory fog light bulbs, be VERY careful with this step, you don't really get a second chance

Step 8. VERY carefully strip off about half an inch of wire from the factory harness, there are two wires, one black and one white with a stripe, then cut off the harness wire that came with the Rigid Dually's, you don't have to be quite as careful doing this as the cables are much heavier and longer.

Step 9. If your going to put heat shrink tubing over your final connections put the heat shrink tubing on NOW! - Twist together the black wire from the Rigid cable harness with the black wire from the factory fog light, repeat for the red Rigid cable and the white cable with a stripe (do this for each fog light/LED)

Step 10. Before going further turn on your headlights/fog lights and make sure that each Rigid LED is in fact working o.k.

Step 11. Solder each connection very carefully, heat up the wire and then apply the solder, don't heat up the solder and just let it ball up on top of the wire!

Step 12. using a heat gun, lighter or some form of heat/fire shrink the heat shrink tubing, if you really want to you can use some liquid tape instead but i prefer to use heat shrink wrap (sometimes with liquid tape first on top of the solder and then put the heat shrink wrap over the liquid tape)

Step 13. Put everything back together, its a LOT easier if you put the plastic piece that goes between the bumper and the grill back on BEFORE you get the grill all put back together! (You can put the plastic piece back in last but you have to twist it and get it in slowly)

Name:	finished.jpg
Views:	3170
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	297591

Last edited by Matthewd5; 03-30-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

That looks great, thanks for the write up. I have the brackets I just need to decide on amber or white duallys. The picture almost makes the headlights look like DRL's. :(
Old 03-30-2012, 06:57 PM
JK Junkie

Yeah my headlights are a joke!

They are silverstar ultras, I'm damn close to getting truck lite LEDs

I have a feeling rigid might come out with led headlights...no info just a hope

Matthew
Old 03-30-2012, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
ok so i'm going to do the best i can to cover step by step how to install Rigid Dually D1 or D2 LEDs into your JK Wrangler using the BDF (Black Diamond Fabrication Brackets)
Nice job
Old 03-31-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MrCourtney
Nice job
Thanks

I finally got a chance to really try them out tonight and they work great and don't appear to spill over where they shouldn't

I have them pointed down as much as I can

Matthew
Old 04-04-2012, 01:07 PM
JK Junkie

Bump up thread
Old 04-04-2012, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Nice install... I just ordered some Dually's and I am waiting for the BDF brackets to come to Canada... have those on order too... Do you have anyone flash you back? How much adjustment is there to adjust the lights down?

thanks,
Steve
Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 2010Mountain
Nice install... I just ordered some Dually's and I am waiting for the BDF brackets to come to Canada... have those on order too... Do you have anyone flash you back? How much adjustment is there to adjust the lights down?

thanks,
Steve
You don't have a lot of room to point them down, you can adjust the spill a little bit by backing out the light, just don't put as far forward as is possible ...

That will probably make more sense when you play with the brackets and lights.

I've had zero problems on the road...was worried I would

Glad I went with the d1's

I love my d2 backup light but worried about putting them in fogs

Matthew
Old 04-05-2012, 03:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I went ahead and ordered the brackets and D1's. Hopefully Northridge is still operating even though they're away lol
Old 04-08-2012, 04:54 AM
JK Junkie

People are asking questions that I think are answered in here...

Quick Reply: Step By Step Installation of Rigid Dually LEDs using BDF Fog Light Bracket