Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stereo power problems after installing aftermarket JVC Stereo

Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo power problems after installing aftermarket JVC Stereo

I did a quick search and did not find the information I was looking for so if it is out there, I'm sorry for double posting.

This weekend I installed a JVC KD-S100 head unit using the installation hardware received with the order from Crutchfield, including the necessary PAC adapter.

After the installation, the system sounds great until I turn up the volume and the stereo turns off and then back on. I called Crutchfield and they suspected it was a problem getting enough power to the stereo when I turn it up. I re-checked the wiring, switched from my "twisting" method of connecting to using wire connectors and I still have the problem. I know I am getting over 14v constant through the yellow wire and through the red (acc) wire I was getting around 13.2-13.5v. If that is the issue, any tips or tricks that I can use to get a more constant level of voltage to the head unit?

Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Eric
Old 08-13-2009, 03:21 AM
JK Newbie

bumping to see if there are any suggestions out there.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad ground maybe???

Also, maybe solder connections would be better???
Old 08-13-2009, 09:31 PM
JK Jedi

run a wire from the positive wire on the ciggy lighter to the 12v ign. wire on the stereo, check 12v and ground connections, and try it again. If you still have an issue, there could be a problem with the radio. What you are describing sounds like the radio is starving for power. You may have heard someone refer to an amp as "clipping", which is a similar problem.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:11 AM
JK Junkie

A few of the adaptors have been known to be faulty too... So it could very well be the harness adaptor as well...
Old 08-14-2009, 03:26 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give it a try this weekend and see what happens.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:21 PM
JK Jedi

did that work?
Old 08-16-2009, 12:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

sort of the same unit from crutchfield and my pac unit died a week after install, they had to ship me a new one, it would not turn on. ect. turn off because it would lose the switch 12v.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Thankfully I ordered from Crutchfield because the JVC customer service is lacking or non-existent.

I took the voltmeter out and checked the voltage while the stereo was on. When down at a lower volume, the voltage was a constant 13.5V, but when I turned it up and adjusted the EQ, the voltage was all over the place jumping from 13.5 to 7 and lower and then it would turn itself off. According to the Crutchfield rep, the PAC adapter has a 1 amp draw limit on the acc wire, but some stereos will pull more than that amount from the wire which can cause the stereo to turn off. They are sending me (for free) a relay to wire into the system. Hopefully this will take care of the problem.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

hmm, im doing just fine of the 1 amp...lol. i hope that works out for you, and that they took care of you. keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Stereo power problems after installing aftermarket JVC Stereo