Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stock jk antenna as cb antenna???

Old 10-21-2010, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock jk antenna as cb antenna???

Is there any way to take a factory jk am/ fm antenna and convert it to a cb antenna ? I want to mount a second antenna on the drivers side where the trail rated badge is ???????? My current cb antenna almost gets ripped off going in garage
Old 10-21-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Super Freak

You should invest in a quick disconnect setup for the CB antenna. Good luck
Old 10-21-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MoabBrink801
Is there any way to take a factory jk am/ fm antenna and convert it to a cb antenna ? I want to mount a second antenna on the drivers side where the trail rated badge is ???????? My current cb antenna almost gets ripped off going in garage
have you thought about getting a quick disconect for it that might work out well for you hope my advise helps
Old 10-21-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by azrwilkinson
You should invest in a quick disconnect setup for the CB antenna. Good luck
thats funny i just said that
Old 10-21-2010, 10:01 AM
JK Freak

I was wondering about replacing the am/fm antenna with a CB antenna so I will be subscribing to this thread. I never listen to the radio, it is either the iPod or silence (or as silent as a Jeep can get ).
Old 10-21-2010, 10:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short answer: No, you can't use the factory AM/FM antenna for CB. It is too short and doesn't have the correct properties. You might be able to change the AM/FM antenna to a CB antenna. I will check the threads later today and get back to you.

If you did that you would have to rebuild the cable at least. The connector into the back of the H/U is different and the cable isn't the correct type for CB.

After replacing the cable you could then be able to regain AM/FM by getting an adapter cable (made) and installing a splitter. The splitter would use the CB antenna for AM/FM. It works well. Trust me. Do not get the splitter marketed to use your AM/FM antenna for CB. They can't work well due to the antenna mismatch.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Ya what I was hoping to do was leave the factory antenna the way it is on the passenger side fender Then buy another factory antenna and mount it on the drivers side fender ( symmetrical look ) to use for cb Couldn't I just splice the 2 coax cables together?
Old 06-06-2013, 12:20 PM
JK Newbie

Default Use stock JK mount for CB antenna?

This has been a very informative thread. Thanks guys!

What I am hoping to do is to leave my stock af/fm antenna as is. On the driver's side, I would like to install a round stock antenna mount in the "Trail Rated" circular indented location and then, instead of the stock am/fm antenna, mount a CB antenna.

If the stock round am/fm antenna would not work, does anyone know of a round CB side mounted antenna or antenna mount that would fit in the round indented "Trail rated" location?

Many thanks!
Old 10-28-2023, 11:02 AM
JK Newbie

Default I installed a Jeep style on my Dodge Nitro. takes a little work but well wort it

Originally Posted by MoabBrink801
Ya what I was hoping to do was leave the factory antenna the way it is on the passenger side fender Then buy another factory antenna and mount it on the drivers side fender ( symmetrical look ) to use for cb Couldn't I just splice the 2 coax cables together?

Drilled out and tapped to 3/8. There is also threaded adapters I seen as a set I think on Amazon. I installed these on both sides with two CB antennas since. Nitro has a roof radio antenna

Quick Reply: Stock jk antenna as cb antenna???