Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

stock sub with aftermarket amp?

Old 05-01-2009, 06:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stock sub with aftermarket amp?

ok, i dont have the infinity system in my jeep but just recenlty got the factory sub and enclosure.. i am planning on getting a small 100 watt amp and wiring it up.. my main question is hooking the sub to the amp.. on the back of the box there is a plug. will i need to cut this plug off and run plain jane speaker wire in or what? should i get jsut a plug from a dealership? what do yall think?

oh it has the factory radio, i am running the amp with a rca line converter.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easy peasey

find out which is the positive and the negative wires for the sub. then just run speaker wire up to the sub and be done with it. and at least you have the common sence not to hard wire the amp to your stock deck. your useing the converter. very simple to do. just take your time. and check your work.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

I wouldn't recommend hooking up an after market amp to the factory sub for few reasons:
  1. The factory sub enclosure is so poorly built that any gains you might acquire will be offset by the resonance the enclosure is generating.
  2. The factory enclosure is also very small in terms of volume. This will make getting loud very hard to do. Typically speaking, sealed enclosures can play very low but require tons of power to get maximum excursion which pushes the maximum amount of air. The problem with driving a woofer this hard is the speaker must be built strong enough to handle that type of power and the sealed enclosure must be strong enough to handle the back wave without resonating. Unfortunately the factory enclosure is not strong enough and I don't think the factory sub is rated that high.
  3. You might be able to deaden the factory enclosure with Dynamat so it doesn't resonate but you're still going to have to deal with the tiny enclosure which will limit the amount of air the sub can push. The more air a speaker pushes the louder the speaker can play. The less air a speaker pushes the lower the speaker will play.
  4. An 8" sub can play loud but it requires multiple speakers or a ported enclosure with lots of quality amp power. A single 8" sub in an under sized sealed enclosure will not play loud at all. Believe it or not but the majority of bass you're hearing is coming from the front component speakers.

I would save my money or install a more powerful amp (at least 200 watts rms), a better sub and a quality PORTED enclosure. This will get you quality bass that you can feel.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:06 PM
***erator

just for your info the factory speaker is a dual voice coil. Just take that into consideration when wiring.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the input fellas. as of now i am waiting on the status of my wifes car.. if we have to drop a transmission in it then we are just going to get her a new car that will have a sub in it from the factory. if that happens then i am getting the sub, box, and amp out of her car and putting it in my jeep.. it is a pretty good system so it will rock in the jeep.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

I'll be installing the following using the factory Sub Enclosure next weekend ... I'll let you know how well it thumps ...

AMP: Pioneer GM-D7400M
SUB: JL Audio 8W1v2-4
Old 05-08-2009, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Is there a market for factory subs? I think mine is still in storage, since I noticed no big difference in bass when I unplugged it to bed line the inside.

I'm eventually going to go with a real sub/amp. If David at Northridge would stop selling stuff to me, I would have done it sooner.

Quick Reply: stock sub with aftermarket amp?