Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Suggestions for KC HiLiTES SlimLite Driving and Fog Lights

Old 02-04-2009, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for KC HiLiTES SlimLite Driving and Fog Lights

I plan on buying the following light packages below and I was wondering if any of you fellow jeepers out there had any suggestions and tips. I know that I will need the windshield mount but is there anything else. I plan on mounting the fog lights on the stock bumper. Also if anyone has any pics that would be nice too.

KC HiLiTES SlimLite 100W Super White Driving Pair Pack in Black

KC HiLiTES SlimLite 100W Super White Fog Pair Pack in Black

Thanks

D.Acord
Old 02-04-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you don't want a driving light on the windshield mounts, you want the long range version, driving or fogs on the windshield mounts will cause a lot of glare from your hood because of the wider beam pattern.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Tips?

ditto, as a matter of fact I own a pair of those 130 watt long range lights. I could not be happier with them. My tip is for u to look at the write up threads cuz this fellow wrote up a really good article that basically gives u step by step instructions for the installation with pix. there is nuttin wrong with the KC instructions either. I wired mine straght to batt so I can use em anytime I want to but some state laws insist u only have em on when ur highbeams are on.
IT IS REAL COOL TO FLASH THEM 130'S AT SOME PUNK WHO DECIDES TO SHOW U HIS BRIGHT LIGHTS. u win every time oh yeah they are really bright and u can see the deer b4 they run out in front of ya.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 02-18-2009 at 04:23 AM. Reason: removed quoted text
Old 02-04-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

8" KC Rally 130w Driving Lights on the Poison Spyder fairlead mount and 6" Slim KC 130w Long Range on the KC windshield mounts and 90mm Hella 55w fogs in the FabFour front bumper and Cibie headlights with 80/85 Osram bulbs.

All I need is a 22" Xmitter LED for the top of the front bumper hoop and I'll be set. Or another pair or even three of the 8" Rally lights in a long range version.

The 130w KC Long Range 6" lights are so bright you can't use them on the street. The reflection from any road signs literally blinds you!
Old 02-04-2009, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info. All I am seeing for the longrange is 130W do they make a 100W verison or is there that big of a difference between the 100 fogs and the 130 longrange. I was also worried about doing the wiring myself but I have seen some great write-ups so I should be ok.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by D_Acord
Thanks for all the info. All I am seeing for the longrange is 130W do they make a 100W verison or is there that big of a difference between the 100 fogs and the 130 longrange. I was also worried about doing the wiring myself but I have seen some great write-ups so I should be ok.
Get an Aftermarket Switch Location!!!

Last edited by Dizzyliz; 03-11-2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: edited out blacklisted manufacturer
Old 02-05-2009, 07:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just finished my lighting mods and very proud of the way it came out. Installed 6" KC 130w long range on Smittybuilt windshield brackets. 6" KC 130w driving beams on Piaa light mount brackets ( did the bathroom grab bar mod on the front bumper ). 2" by 2", 55w Burnners under the rocker pannels for "rock lights". 2" by 4" 55w Burnners under the back bumper for reverse lights. 4 switches installed in center console (where power window switches would have been). Did the LED dash mod. Built my own custome wire harness'. Tied my driving beams into my high beams. Tied my rock lights into my dome light. And tied my reverse lights into the reverse circuit. The only thing that I regret is buying 6" lights. I think that 7" lights would look better since the headlights are 7".

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 03-12-2009 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Blacklisted Mfg.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

maybe u should post a write up and share

Last edited by wayoflife; 03-11-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by cvjoint
... The most hard part is making the wiring look nice and finding a good place for the switch. ...
Several threads on this subject with a variety of answers, but here's what I did. I've seen four or five switches banked at this location, BTW:

Old 02-05-2009, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Several threads on this subject with a variety of answers, but here's what I did. I've seen four or five switches banked at this location
I mounted my 2 switches for the KCs here as well. They are very convenient to use, got one with a green (green for offroad, identical switch) led from Auto Zone for the windshield lights.
Use the one with the red led KC supplied in the kit for the bumper lights which actually do see some on road use.
When I mount the Xmitter 22" LED to the bumper hoop, I'll add another switch here for it, maybe in amber.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for KC HiLiTES SlimLite Driving and Fog Lights