Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Tail light wiring help

Old 05-03-2016, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light wiring help

I installed a set of Evo MFG rear rock skins the other day, and threw in a set of 4 inch round LED tail lights. I knew that they would blink faster than the stock bulbs, and they give me a warning that I have both tail lights out when I start the Jeep, but other than that they work great. What has everyone done to remedy the blinker situation? I have a set of resistors from Autozone, but I'm not sure where to wire them in. I can throw up pictures and provide any information that's needed so that I can get this warning and blinking figured out.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I just completed this mod last weekend and do not have an issue, then again I also have a base model Sport with roll up windows.

ORO makes a Lite Box that is to trick the computer into thinking that the LED lights are incandescent lights. here is the link to NR where you can buy them.

Off Road Only JK LiteBOX Flasher Fix - LD-LB

R/
Will
Old 05-03-2016, 11:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One side of the resistor connects to the turn positive and the other side connects to the negative. They can get hot so don't mount them on plastic.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get a pair of load resistors for $5 on amazon. Thats what I used for my rear lights.

Amazon.com: 50W 6Ohm LED Load Resistors for LED Turn Signal Lights or LED License Plate Lights (Fix Hyper Flash, Warning Cancellor): Automotive
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3839.JPG
Views:	9636
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	645913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hinge.JPG
Views:	936
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	645914  
Old 05-03-2016, 10:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
One side of the resistor connects to the turn positive and the other side connects to the negative. They can get hot so don't mount them on plastic.
That sounds like a plan to me. I'll let y'all know if that does it for me.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's s photo when I installed Warrior corners with LEDs, the orange resistor is tucked away near the lights and secured to the stock metal with a metal screw.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by westchester
Here's s photo when I installed Warrior corners with LEDs, the orange resistor is tucked away near the lights and secured to the stock metal with a metal screw.
Which wire do you have the resistor wired in to?
Old 05-05-2016, 02:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The oem pigtail has 4 pins, it's 3 pins and then 1 pin with 2 empty slots in rows, the side with 3 pins is black and then two white with stripes (I think orange and grey?) sorry, can't exactly remember the stripe color, but the black is ground, then power is the middle pin, and the brake light power is the next, I think the bottom pin is for reverse. The resister gets wired in parallel with the tail light, so you connect on end to the ground and the other to the power. Wiring in parallel keeps voltage the same while increasing amps. This is to "fool" the jeep into believing you're running an oem tail light that has a standard incandescent bulb that pulls more power than an led. Hope this makes sense
Old 05-05-2016, 02:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WyattO1759
Which wire do you have the resistor wired in to?
There's a funny story. ..... And to be aware so you don't make the same mistake. The answer is a different color depending on if you keep the stock gray plastic connector or not. The color of the Jeep's power/ground/reverse wire going in, isn't the same color coming out the connector (they switch the colors !!). It took me the darnest time to trouble shoot when I removed the redundant connector on the second corner side, there is no need to keep it and allow it to rattle around inside.

So I haven't answered your question, I'll look tonight.
Did you keep the plastic connector ?

Here's a link to the resistors I bought : Mobile Site Preview

Last edited by westchester; 05-05-2016 at 02:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Garth Slack (02-04-2019)
Old 05-05-2016, 03:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$5
http://www.amazon.com/Resistors-Sign.../dp/B004EDF8HY

Quick Reply: Tail light wiring help