Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

TIPM Tail Light Circuit (2008 Wrangler)

Old 09-24-2018, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIPM Tail Light Circuit (2008 Wrangler)

Suspect current sense function for left rear brake/turn within TIPM faulty. Removal of bulb prior to or after ignition on is not detected, and during operational mode unit sporadically detects bulb continuity fail. Wiring from C7 to tail light confirmed correct (opens, shorts, ground, etc.). Right rear brake/turn and both front turn circuits correctly detect bulb removal and do not experience operational mode failure.

Any schematics on TPIM implementation of detect function? Are discrete components used? Any experience bypassing detect function? Any programming or diagnostic options?
Old 09-24-2018, 11:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboypilot

Any schematics on TPIM implementation of detect function? Are discrete components used? Any experience bypassing detect function? Any programming or diagnostic options?
The part (MOSFET) that detects burned out or removed bulb is soldered to the TIPM circuit board. It's the same component that drives the on/off cycle when the blinker function is selected.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

Excellent! If by chance you have a p/n or picture of the circuit area please forward. A plain 'ole sense MOSFET opens up options for debug and repair/workaround.

Many thanks!
Old 09-24-2018, 02:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Here is a picture showing the rear turn signal drivers. (Right hand components on the vertical board.)
Export JKs use the separate stop and turn signal drivers. Domestic JKs use only the combined stop/turn drivers.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Nice! Perhaps if the FET itself is bad then maybe I could reuse one from an export circuit.

I assume no TIPM schematics for this function? I think the next quest (besides the FET p/n) is the sense threshold detect circuitry. If that function gets sucked into one of those larger parts and it's not the FET itself that failed, then I might be headed for a several hundred dollar bath.

Have you seen common failure modes for this type of problem?
Old 09-24-2018, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

Well key rap, I might be dead. I cannot find a way to remove the plastic cover from the vertical board without going commando destructo. To begin with the orientation of the red circled pin on the plastic case conflicts with the pin orientation of the three connectors. The pins on the three connectors want the plastic cover to lift away from the vertical board (i.e. to the left in my picture). This suggests to me that the assembly process was to combined the two boards after the plastic was installed. The pin could be broken, however breaking the sealant looks to be a formidable task in itself. Not all sealant area is accessible unless the horizontal card is separated prior to removing the plastic case. It can be done, but it's become more of a hassle than it's worth.

Perhaps my last option... I don't have fancy diagnostics/readers. I suspect this card is really just a passive CAN endpoint. Is there anything a fancy reader or diagnostic tool could do to reset (or validate) a possible 'hard' error condition? Is there a way to disable the bulb check feature?

Last edited by cowboypilot; 09-25-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Here is a picture showing the rear turn signal drivers. (Right hand components on the vertical board.)
Export JKs use the separate stop and turn signal drivers. Domestic JKs use only the combined stop/turn drivers.

Hi!

I have this problem: if I turn on left turn signal then my back lights see left and right turn signals (emergency lights) in same time. In front all ok - see only left turn light.

I soldering all 4 elements (Left Rear Stop, Right Rear Stop, Left Rear Stop/Turn, Right Rear Stop/Turn with new ST VN5E 010MH GK0S1350 but it not happen for me.

what other reasons could there be?

Quick Reply: TIPM Tail Light Circuit (2008 Wrangler)