Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Tire pressure monitor system

Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure monitor system

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I just had 20" Fuel wheels and 35" NittonTrail terrains put on. The company that did the package installed new tps on the wheels. The problem I am having is the tps light stays on and they are not reading at all. The person indent with said that they should work after a few hundred miles if not you have to go to the dealer and have them reset it. Can anyone help me out???
Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockytheboxer
I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I just had 20" Fuel wheels and 35" NittonTrail terrains put on. The company that did the package installed new tps on the wheels. The problem I am having is the tps light stays on and they are not reading at all. The person indent with said that they should work after a few hundred miles if not you have to go to the dealer and have them reset it. Can anyone help me out???
The installer told you correctly. But he got into your pocket too. He could have reused the old TPMS modules.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah they always get into your pockets. I appreciate the response back but I wasn't sure if you meant the dealer has to reset the tpms or it will just have to reset by itself after a few hundred miles?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Checking with the dealer is a good idea, but the sensors should work within a few miles according to the Jeep owner's manual.

If they won't work, see if you can get your original sensors back. There's nothing wrong with them and you know they work with your Jeep.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

---The person indent with said that they should work after a few hundred miles if not you have to go to the dealer and have them reset it?
Originally Posted by JK-Ford
The installer told you correctly.
--- I appreciate the response back but I wasn't sure if you meant the dealer has to reset the tpms or it will just have to reset by itself after a few hundred miles?
The installer told you correctly.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 11-20-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

No they will turn off right away, make sure the new tires have 40psi in them run for 5 miles then you can back them down to 37psi after the light goes out

I have swapped tires/wheels on my 12 over 8 times never need to go a few hundred miles
Old 11-21-2012, 10:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible the Installer didn't put the correct ones on. Yes the old can be used over and over, they have kits of the gaskets/seals need to be replaced but the TPS's are reused.

The older TPS units only had one model which were the same on all 5 tires.

New TPS units are 5 different models and they are suppose to reset and calibrate themselves but not that many miles to do it. The new units tells the computer which exact tire is low and displays that in the Instrument Cluster.

Demand your money back because I have a 2005 Truck that has never needed replacement or ever offered because the reinstallment kit is well know by the tire world.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AtlJeepsTer
It's possible the Installer didn't put the correct ones on. Yes the old can be used over and over, they have kits of the gaskets/seals need to be replaced but the TPS's are reused.

The older TPS units only had one model which were the same on all 5 tires.

New TPS units are 5 different models and they are suppose to reset and calibrate themselves but not that many miles to do it. The new units tells the computer which exact tire is low and displays that in the Instrument Cluster.

Demand your money back because I have a 2005 Truck that has never needed replacement or ever offered because the reinstallment kit is well know by the tire world.
hi, thinking about buying a wheel and tire package from a local shop and they said they would swap out the existing ones on my wheels now. i asked him about the swap and he said he just takes them off and puts them on the new wheel. didnt mention anything about rebuild kit. is he wrong? he said he has done this thousands of times and has never heard of any issues.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

They did not program the new sensors to your Jeep. There is a computer that has a mat that the sensors sit on. You log into the website and put in your VIN and it programs the new sensors to you rig.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mavpsa
hi, thinking about buying a wheel and tire package from a local shop and they said they would swap out the existing ones on my wheels now. i asked him about the swap and he said he just takes them off and puts them on the new wheel. didnt mention anything about rebuild kit. is he wrong? he said he has done this thousands of times and has never heard of any issues.
They have Gasket kits for the TPS units to either replace with tire changes to prevent air leaks or to replace/repair

Check this out on another jeep Forum, guy asking if tire guy is ripping him off by saying he needs to replace the Gaskets...lol

Replacing TPS gasket?? Or am I being taken for a ride?
[HR][/HR] I'm shopping for replacement tires and after finding a shop in the area with a RoadForce machine he strongly recommended replacing the rubber gaskets on the TPS to avoid leaks. Is this a standard thing to do when mounting new tires? Is he trying to get more money out of me without cause? I approached him with purchasing the tires online and not sure if he's trying to get more money out of me.

Only 24K on the current TPS and entire rig.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure monitor system