Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Top mounted / windshield bar mounted Off-road lights - preferences?

Old 06-16-2019, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top mounted / windshield bar mounted Off-road lights - preferences?

I’m curious what preferences people have for top mounted lights? Im kinda leaning towards LED, but the price makes me think twice about it. My ‘18 JK has all LED’s though - which makes me think going Halogen is like going backwards.

I’m looking at picking up a 5 light light bar - possibly Rugged Ridge brand - and thinking round 6” individual lights would look best for my tastes.

The KC highlights brand seems a tad pricey, but seems to be a solid brand- the PIAA lights seem to come in quite a bit lower in price.

Any other decent brands out there that won’t require a small mortgage? 😁
Old 06-16-2019, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Top mounted lights can be nice but they can also be detrimental. Are you actually planning on using it in pure darkness where you'll be able to use the lights or are you just going for aesthetics? Keep in mind that adding things up top has the potential to introduce a wind noise above your head. I had a set of lights on the A pillar and always thought they were great until I admitted how much light I was losing to the hood. I moved them to the bumper and while the light output is lower, it's more useful. There are a small handful of times where I'd prefer to have them on the A pillar but they get more use on the bumper.

Quick Reply: Top mounted / windshield bar mounted Off-road lights - preferences?