Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Turn signal light issue

Old 05-06-2015, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal light issue

This past weekend I did the "bed line the grill" mod and all went well and turned out good. However now my left front turn signal light works intermittently. I was careful to reassemble it correctly and make sure every thing was seated and tight. When it doesn't work I can give the grill a tap and then it works. The bulb is seated, the connection are clean and good, and the bulb is good.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?
Old 05-06-2015, 03:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmmm...if all the connections are good and the ground is making good contact then you may have a internal break in the wire. If you have testers unplug the socket, pull the bulb, and test across the connection points in the socket. Move the socket a little and check again. A broken wire can easily be intermittent. If you find a position that it doesn't work, then run a continuity test on each wire to see which one is bad. Repair/replace as necessary.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Hmmmm...if all the connections are good and the ground is making good contact then you may have a internal break in the wire. If you have testers unplug the socket, pull the bulb, and test across the connection points in the socket. Move the socket a little and check again. A broken wire can easily be intermittent. If you find a position that it doesn't work, then run a continuity test on each wire to see which one is bad. Repair/replace as necessary.
Thanks for the direction. I followed this and everything came out good. Just on a whim I put in a new bulb and it works perfectly. This doesn't make sense, since the bulb wasn't burnt with the filament in tact. Go figure. Thanks again for your time and wanted to let you know what I found.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC20yrs
Thanks for the direction. I followed this and everything came out good. Just on a whim I put in a new bulb and it works perfectly. This doesn't make sense, since the bulb wasn't burnt with the filament in tact. Go figure. Thanks again for your time and wanted to let you know what I found.
Sometimes the filament can appear fine when the break is outside the visible area. A continuity test of the bulb is the best test.

Glad you got it sorted.

Quick Reply: Turn signal light issue