Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Turn signals driving me crazy, help please!!!

Old 10-30-2017, 09:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Turn signals driving me crazy, help please!!!

Hello all,

ok so I have been battling a turn signal issue for the last month or two and it is absolutely driving me bonkers.

What is going on:

Headlights off - turn signals work normal most of the time. After I activate the turn signal (left of right) for the first time after I start my JK, OCCASIONALLY they will flash fast when I have the turn signal (left or right) activated. So the first time I use my left signal, it'll work fine. Then occasionally, every time after that, my turn signal will flash fast as if a bulb is out. All bulbs are fine and not damaged, they were all replaced. When headlights are off all turn signals are visible from the exterior.

Headlights on - When ever I activated my left, or right, turn signal it will flash 8 times at the normal speed then it'll flash fast from there on out. After I activate either turn signal for the first time after I start my JK, every time I activate my turn signal again it is constantly fast. When my headlights are on, my FRONT signals are NOT visible from the exterior. Or, are at least very very dim, I should say. The rear signals are fine.

When I unlock my JK with the keyless entry, the front turn signals are barely visible, as they are very very dim. The rears are visible.

What I've done:

I've replaced ALL exterior bulbs. No luck.
I've checked fuses under the hood, they are all good.
I've checked my grounds (under the hood, and the 2 in the wheel well), they are all good, no signs of corrosion, no damaged wiring.

What I haven't done:
Replace TIPM.
Replace turn signals switch at steering wheel.

I'm at a loss here. I don't want to waste the money on replaced my turn signal switch, if that isn't the problem. Anyone with help, it would be absolutely greatly appreciated. This is literally driving my insane, I can't stand the fast flash clicking anymore.

Thanks in advance,

Blair
Old 11-01-2017, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

What year? Could it be a clock spring issue. There is an extended warranty on that for some years.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
What year? Could it be a clock spring issue. There is an extended warranty on that for some years.
It’s a 2008. Clock Spring was replaced under the warranty.

On a side note i tried replacing the turn signal switch. No luck. I’m at a complete loss here.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you replace them with LED bulbs
Old 11-21-2017, 03:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jchappies
Did you replace them with LED bulbs
Nope, just regular bulbs.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The fast signal rate is the Jeeps way of saying the voltage is wrong. If the bulbs are dim when the headlights are turned on then I am inclined to think that the wrong bulbs are installed or are not fully inserted somewhere in the loop if LED bulbs were not used.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Try replacing the flashing relay, yes there is such a thing. Not sure where it is but I bet it is in the fuse bank in front of the battery.

R/
Will
Old 12-01-2017, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Canvas
Try replacing the flashing relay, yes there is such a thing. Not sure where it is but I bet it is in the fuse bank in front of the battery.

R/
Will
There is no flasher relay in a JK.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How long ago was the clockspring replaced?

How long ago did the flashing problem show up?

When it first showed up did it do it all the time like it does now?

Quick Reply: Turn signals driving me crazy, help please!!!