Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Turn signals, horn, interior lights, rear wiper... DRIVING ME CRAZY!

Old 09-20-2017, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Turn signals, horn, interior lights, rear wiper... SOLVED. Mostly.

2007 Rubicon, 2 door, auto. I've only owned it for a few months now but the electrical gremlins are in full force.

Preface: I have replaced all turn signal bulbs, side marker lights, and reverse lights with brand new standard incandescent bulbs for troubleshooting. I have replaced the turn signal stalk assembly with an OEM part. I have replaced one of the 15a turn signal fuses.

Where to start? The symptoms differ based on whether or not you have the running lights turned on.

Running lights OFF: the turn signals will work normally 90% of the time, but they will occasionally start to hyper flash. The front and rears both illuminate at this time, they just hyper flash. The only way to get them to stop hyper flashing is to shut the Jeep off and restart it. Hazard lights operate normally both before and after hyper flashing begins.

Running lights ON: the turn signals will blink 8 times and on the 9th time, it will start to hyper flash. The difference here is that the front turn signals won't illuminate at all (even as DRL) after one side starts to hyper flash. Rear turn signals illuminate even after the front signals stop, but they still hyper flash. Hazard lights will work normally until the hyper flashing begins, at which point the rears will blink at normal speed, but the fronts still won't illuminate. Again, the only way to return them to normal is cycle power via the key.

Other issues, not as pressing, but still annoying and possibly related:

The horn: it worked when I got the Jeep but mysteriously stopped working. I checked both fuses and they were okay. I have not checked the switch/contacts behind the airbag yet. The clockspring recall repair was performed by the dealer prior to my ownership.

Interior lights: the dome light occasionally will not shut off when all the doors are shut. The only way to get it to turn off is to turn the switch all the way back on the stalk. It's a 50/50 chance if it wants to turn off properly. The DOOR message does not display on the gauge cluster like it does when a door is not fully shut.

Rear wiper: the rear wiper will stop mid cycle and may or may not begin working after you turn the jeep off and restart it. This is on the other column stalk obviously, but since they are jumpered together I figured it would be worth mentioning, as they could be related.

I guess I'm hoping for something fairly simple. Maybe a common ground that has corroded, or a spot where the wires wear through and short out, like the XJ wires do where it passes from the door into the cabin. I'm fairly new to JK ownership so I'm not keen on the common issues. What I'm hoping it ISN'T is the damn TIPM. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(Yes, this is cross-posted to JKowners for maximum exposure!)

Okay, so I fixed this and honestly, I feel like an idiot. It ended up being the ground is next to the airbox, by the passenger headlight; you'll need to pull the airbox to get to it, but it's easily visible. Visually inspecting them, they looked fine, but I decided to pull them just to be safe, which it turns out I should have done from the start, now I've spent $70 on a new multi-function switch and however much incandescent replacements cost for the whole exterior.

After I pulled them off, about 3-4 of the wires connected there just fell off from all the corrosion. I crimped on a new ring terminal, sealed it up with liquid electrical tape and it's good to go. Be careful how much you take off the leads, as the wires that are there are SHORT, take too much off and you won't reach the stock ground bolt. Anyway, turn signals work as they should, and the horn does as well. Still unsure why the rear wiper malfunctions occasionally, or why the interior light sometimes doesn't turn off, but I'm not too worried about that.

Last edited by Yodwinder; 09-27-2017 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Solved issue.
The following users liked this post:
Generaltrp (07-19-2021)
Old 09-20-2017, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

First thing to check would be the battery. These trucks get funny with low(er) batteries. You can check the ground on the side panel there by the obd2 port. It's a stud with wires coming down to it. From there I'd explore the clockspring and when it was last replaced as well if it has since sustained moisture.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Should have mentioned that the battery has been replaced within the last 6-8 weeks. I was messing with the door switch connector the other night and did happen to see the ground in the fender well, didn't see anything that was obviously amiss there. I have also read that the turn signals and side markers ground on the fender, but those looked okay, perhaps a little corroded. Still might cut it off, strip back the wires and crimp a new ring terminal on there.

Is there any way to test the clock spring short of replacing it with a new one and seeing if it makes a difference?
Old 09-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Re: clockspring- I'm not sure without a specific Chrysler tool that you'd be able to reliably test it. Mine was wonky and would intermittently present issues. Amazon ended up having the correct part number at the best price.....which Chrysler ended up replacing later but I didn't have any issues with the Mopar part via Amazon.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:01 PM
JK Freak

I'm having the same issue with the turn signals. However, I haven't experimented with the headlights off. But with headlights on, I'm experiencing the same exact thing. Parking/Front turn signals turn off after the 8th flash. I should note the parking lights up front flash when locking/unlocking the doors with the key fob, but they are dim. I noticed there are fuses for the REAR turn signals only, both of which are still good. It should also be noted that my clockspring was replaced by the dealer a couple months back.

This is driving me absolutely bonkers.

2008 JKU
Old 09-21-2017, 12:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn

The horn on my 2008 2dr Sport used to fill up with water after hitting a large body of water too fast. Is it completely dead or does it sound comically weak/muted?
Old 09-21-2017, 01:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PAwrangler08
I'm having the same issue with the turn signals. However, I haven't experimented with the headlights off. But with headlights on, I'm experiencing the same exact thing. Parking/Front turn signals turn off after the 8th flash. I should note the parking lights up front flash when locking/unlocking the doors with the key fob, but they are dim. I noticed there are fuses for the REAR turn signals only, both of which are still good. It should also be noted that my clockspring was replaced by the dealer a couple months back.

This is driving me absolutely bonkers.

2008 JKU
AAARRRGGGHHHH. We can't be the only 2 people experiencing this, someone must have ran into this and solved it. But for all my googling, I can't find anything about it.

When I was looking at the fuses I guess I didn't pay super close attention, just noticed they were labeled left and right turn signal.

You should test it to see if you have a lower "failure" rate with your DRL/headlights off.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by twcanuck
The horn on my 2008 2dr Sport used to fill up with water after hitting a large body of water too fast. Is it completely dead or does it sound comically weak/muted?
Both horns are 100% dead, but I need to have someone press it while I listen for the relay. Fuses were both good.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if this helps. Last Thursday my wife drove the jeep (2010 JKU) and came to get me where I was working. We got in the jeep, as soon as it started the wipers started. My wife said she never started the wipers. As I drove found out the blinkers did not work, the headlights were on. I took it to the dealership, the computer lost connection to the multifunction switch. The long handle switch on the left side of steering wheel, operates the lights and turn signal. So, they order a new switch. Not sure why it effected the wipers
Old 09-23-2017, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OverKill
I don't know if this helps. Last Thursday my wife drove the jeep (2010 JKU) and came to get me where I was working. We got in the jeep, as soon as it started the wipers started. My wife said she never started the wipers. As I drove found out the blinkers did not work, the headlights were on. I took it to the dealership, the computer lost connection to the multifunction switch. The long handle switch on the left side of steering wheel, operates the lights and turn signal. So, they order a new switch. Not sure why it effected the wipers

Yeah, that was my thought with the turn signals and the dome light. I replaced it with an OEM one though and pulled the battery cables and held them together but it didn't make any difference.

Quick Reply: Turn signals, horn, interior lights, rear wiper... DRIVING ME CRAZY!