Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

UConnect 130 (base radio) issues and limitations?

Old 06-09-2018, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UConnect 130 (base radio) issues and limitations?

I picked up a 2018 JK Unlimited last Sunday. I got my Android phone paired with it no problem. The rest of the UConnect experience has been frustrating. It seems it can't do functions that basic Bluetooth has been able to do for a decade. I called the Uconnect 1-800 number, and the agent was very polite , but I kept hearing NOPE! Voice Texting (Nope), Audio pass thru to a smartphone (nope), And I love this one, UConnect Access costs $20 a month, but my model (130) doesn't even support that.

Questions

(1) Are the predefined 20 messages modifiable?

(2) Can this radio using Bluetooth do some sort of voice pass thru to my Android phone so I can use/listen to google assistant, bypassing the UConnect messaging system?

(3) What modifications if any have users made to make this system better? Replace it with a $99 Kenwood radio from best buy that does all of the above?

thanks.

Last edited by JokerOne; 06-09-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't bother using mine any more. With the Jeep stopped windows up and the volume all the way up I can't hear the person on the phone with me through the radio. You cant use TBT directions unless you are listening to music on your phone at the time. It's the worst radio I've ever had.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cedarraider
I don't bother using mine any more. With the Jeep stopped windows up and the volume all the way up I can't hear the person on the phone with me through the radio. You cant use TBT directions unless you are listening to music on your phone at the time. It's the worst radio I've ever had.
thanks. I thought I was just being too picky.

I'm suprised someone hasn't come up with some hacks/open source code, etc. to modify it.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Either get a new radio or get an iPhone. I dont use the predefined texts, but the voice to text and Siri work flawlessly with mine, though it is sometimes a bit slow.
A small price to pay to not have a touchscreen in the dash.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MountainWhisky
Either get a new radio or get an iPhone. I dont use the predefined texts, but the voice to text and Siri work flawlessly with mine, though it is sometimes a bit slow.
I believe a new radio would be the cheapest option with the most useful features.

thanks.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

What JokerOne said. UConnect is garbage. I'm running a Kenwood that works with my steering wheel controls (via a module supplied by Crutchfield) which is compatible with Android Auto and Apple Play. Both work flawlessly. The screen on the Kenwood is WAY better resolution. The sound is much better. I can do speech to text and vice versa. I'm very pleased with it.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
What JokerOne said. UConnect is garbage. I'm running a Kenwood that works with my steering wheel controls (via a module supplied by Crutchfield) which is compatible with Android Auto and Apple Play. Both work flawlessly. The screen on the Kenwood is WAY better resolution. The sound is much better. I can do speech to text and vice versa. I'm very pleased with it.
I probably need to carve out some time and practice the voice recognition on the UConnect 130.

Today when like this.

ME : "CALL HOME"
UConnect : "Call 911, is this correct?"
ME : NO!

Old 12-29-2018, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MountainWhisky
the android does fine when its Bluetooth detached/connected from the jeep Uconnect. Its navigation is silent when attached/connected. The phone ("incoming call from X", etc..) works fine.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JokerOne
I picked up a 2018 JK Unlimited last Sunday. I got my Android phone paired with it no problem. The rest of the UConnect experience has been frustrating. It seems it can't do functions that basic Bluetooth has been able to do for a decade. I called the Uconnect 1-800 number, and the agent was very polite , but I kept hearing NOPE! Voice Texting (Nope), Audio pass thru to a smartphone (nope), And I love this one, UConnect Access costs $20 a month, but my model (130) doesn't even support that.

Questions

(1) Are the predefined 20 messages modifiable?

(2) Can this radio using Bluetooth do some sort of voice pass thru to my Android phone so I can use/listen to google assistant, bypassing the UConnect messaging system?

(3) What modifications if any have users made to make this system better? Replace it with a $99 Kenwood radio from best buy that does all of the above?

thanks.
I have a 2011 JKU UConnect works fine, better with windows up. Voice to text just fine. Find Rock station changes to rock station. Play Crazy Bitch it plays Crazy Bitch. Call Dad it calls Dad. All for the price of $0. But one time my son told it to change stations and it changed language to French. Everything was in French after that, it was kind of a bitch figuring out how get back to English.

Last edited by 2011oscarmike; 12-30-2018 at 03:26 AM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: UConnect 130 (base radio) issues and limitations?