JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   Uconnect Exploit Posted on Wired (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/uconnect-exploit-posted-wired-324258/)

Skippman 07-21-2015 06:24 AM

Uconnect Exploit Posted on Wired

As frightening as this sounds apparently there's an exploit possible with the Uconnect system on 2013 and newer systems that can allow a hacker to take control of your vehicle remotely. This issue is known by Fiat Chrysler and a firmware patch is available to prevent the exploit. I just read about this on Wired and figured I should share it with the community.

mattfl 07-21-2015 07:33 AM

Was just coming here to post this exact thing.

This should be on the front page of the website, not some garbage about floyd spending who cares how much to trash his JK.

urmyboyblue 07-21-2015 07:50 AM

It's crazy but as I finish reading, I suspect that this would be for those with WiFi enabled systems which fortunate for us, the JK doesn't offer it unless you purchase a different system. I believe you need to have an 8.4A/AN for this to really affect you.

As an Edit: I'm not downplaying the fact that the exploit is dangerous...Just hoping to quell fears that people may have as I've yet to see the headunit listed in the article.

tandem 07-21-2015 08:56 AM

Awesome, guess my wife's KL is gonna have to go in for an update...

mattfl 07-21-2015 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by urmyboyblue (Post 4124617)
It's crazy but as I finish reading, I suspect that this would be for those with WiFi enabled systems which fortunate for us, the JK doesn't offer it unless you purchase a different system. I believe you need to have an 8.4A/AN for this to really affect you.

As an Edit: I'm not downplaying the fact that the exploit is dangerous...Just hoping to quell fears that people may have as I've yet to see the headunit listed in the article.

Incorrect, this operates on the Uconnects cellular signal.

And thanks to one vulnerable element, which Miller and Valasek won’t identify until their Black Hat talk, Uconnect’s cellular connection also lets anyone who knows the car’s IP address gain access from anywhere in the country. “From an attacker’s perspective, it’s a super nice vulnerability,” Miller says.

It operates on the cellular connection.

This article from Forbes says vehicles from 2013 and up are affected

Jeep Owners Urged To Update Cars To Stop Hackers Taking Them Off The Road - Forbes

urmyboyblue 07-21-2015 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by mattfl (Post 4124679)
Incorrect, this operates on the Uconnects cellular signal.

And thanks to one vulnerable element, which Miller and Valasek won’t identify until their Black Hat talk, Uconnect’s cellular connection also lets anyone who knows the car’s IP address gain access from anywhere in the country. “From an attacker’s perspective, it’s a super nice vulnerability,” Miller says.

It operates on the cellular connection.

This article from Forbes says vehicles from 2013 and up are affected

Jeep Owners Urged To Update Cars To Stop Hackers Taking Them Off The Road - Forbes

Maybe I misspoke and used WiFi incorrectly...But do all Uconnect's have cellular? Uconnect® Access | The next generation of connectivity has arrived

I'm just trying to understand because I'm definitely no security expert but I think it's only those I mentioned that are cell capable.