Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Using OEM Fog Light Switch to turn on afermarket Fog Lights?

Old 04-11-2007, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using OEM Fog Light Switch to turn on afermarket Fog Lights?

I want to install a pair of 100-Watt KC Fog Lights a buddy gave me on my new Mopar Bumper and still be able to use the OEM Fog Light Switch to turn them on!

So I wouldn't have to splice into the wires, I ordered the Mopar Fog-light wiring harness which plugs in to the existing fog light connecter and has bullet connecters at the ends. I Plugged the KC's in and no luck! The Fog lights just fade on/off.

Any Advice?

Thanks,
Old 04-11-2007, 05:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

If you use the factory switch you will have to use a relay on the switch and draw additional power from the battery or other source. If you run your KC's off the stock power you will start to blow fuses due to the wattage difference.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
If you use the factory switch you will have to use a relay on the switch and draw additional power from the battery or other source. If you run your KC's off the stock power you will start to blow fuses due to the wattage difference.
True... I noticed the OEM Fog Lights are 42-watts.

I'm assuming that If I follow KC's wiring instructions up to the point of connecting the Relay to the On/Off switch, I'll instead connect it to the JK's OEM fog light switch?

There are 2-wires that go from the KC Relay to the KC 's on/off switch... a green wire marked (LOAD) and a white wire marked (SUPPLY). I hoping that if I attach those to the OEM Fog Light Switch it'll work.

But which wires do I tap in to?

Last edited by edstroyer; 04-11-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:20 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by edstroyer

Not sure I can help you with that question.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's why I preffer HIDs because of less power draw (35W) and more power output....
Old 04-12-2007, 01:16 PM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by edstroyer
True... I noticed the OEM Fog Lights are 42-watts.

I'm assuming that If I follow KC's wiring instructions up to the point of connecting the Relay to the On/Off switch, I'll instead connect it to the JK's OEM fog light switch?

There are 2-wires that go from the KC Relay to the KC 's on/off switch... a green wire marked (LOAD) and a white wire marked (SUPPLY). I hoping that if I attach those to the OEM Fog Light Switch it'll work.

Your going to have to splice into one side of the stock fog light wiring. Just splice in and use those two wires to trigger your relay- the 85 and 86 terminals. Polarity should not make any difference to trigger the relay since there is no other relationship to ground at the relay. Run a heavy enough gauge wire right from the battery through a fuse to the power terminal on the relay- terminal 30. Terminal 87 on the relay to the positive leads on your new lights, with a separate ground wire from the new fogs to either the neg battery terminal or a good chassis ground.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I decided not to go further with this project as I dont want a whole lot more cabling in the JK and dont want to splice into cables just yet!

F.Y.I. I spoke to a Jeep Service Dept Rep, who informed me that you can put 55-watt fog lights on the JK and no more than that. But he also said "not all 55-watt third party fog lights" work on the JK (???). He recomended Hella FF75 lamps which are the same ones you get if you order the Mopar ones for the JK. Only differance is the Jeep logo in the lens.

Last edited by edstroyer; 04-13-2007 at 08:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Using OEM Fog Light Switch to turn on afermarket Fog Lights?