JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   Using OEM "Off Road" Switch Panel for Aux switches (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/using-oem-off-road-switch-panel-aux-switches-310539/)

KlausVanwinkle 09-15-2014 11:17 AM

Using OEM "Off Road" Switch Panel for Aux switches

2 Attachment(s)
Can you buy aux switches to replace the "Off-Road" section of the Axle Lock and Sway Bar switch pod in the Rubicon? I see that you can buy an entire replacement panel for $50 that might work. But then you can't customize the switch labels.

I would like to add 3 switches for Aux Lights, Air compressor and reverse lights.

This:
Attachment 575748
To This:
Attachment 575749

Captain Obvious 09-15-2014 03:40 PM

I haven't personally opened it up, but I've read on the forum that's not just a panel with nothing behind it that can be pulled out. Apparently there's a circuit board behind it.

Grand Umpah 09-15-2014 06:34 PM

I think you'd be better off getting the switch panel that goes on the A pillar
Can't seem to find a quick link, but it goes on the windshield pillar by the passenger door. It accepts 4 switches that are easy to have customized rocker switch labels made for, and it's also easy to get wiring in and out of the engine compartment.
If you search this site, you're bound to find it eventually; lots of members have/use them.

Jeepstin12 09-15-2014 06:51 PM

There is a circuit board there. I'm not certain of how the coms work with the system. I did find enough room to mount an aux switch to the panel. Not much room to add another.

Vladimer 09-15-2014 08:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
For those kind of switches you are better off with the a-pillar.

Here is what the off-road panel looks like.

Attachment 679795
Attachment 679796

There is nothing behind it so you can add stuff, I'm actually adding in a video switch at the moment and going to bondo/repaint the panel so the offroad is actually smooth. There are no OEM switches you can fit in that area though, you would need to DIY something up.

KlausVanwinkle 09-19-2014 08:35 AM

Bummer. Thanks for the insights. I was going to use the A-pillar panel with carling rocker switches because I've used snd liked them before. But I thought the back lighting might be distracting on the A-pillar. I might have to make them independently dimmable.

Vladimer 09-19-2014 09:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
You can still put something in there, just not the oem switches. Here is how my video switch came together.

Attachment 679792

As for how distracting the a-pillar lights are, I usually have my interior lights on the lowest or second lowest setting at night, even prior to any mods. Don't like bright lights at night.

This is OTRATTW switches with the interior on the brightest.
Attachment 679793

Same thing with interior dimmed to lowest.
Attachment 679794

Camera was on manual mode so no change between the 2 shots.

Jeepstin12 09-19-2014 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Vladimer (Post 3983694)
You can still put something in there, just not the oem switches. Here is how my video switch came together. As for how distracting the a-pillar lights are, I usually have my interior lights on the lowest or second lowest setting at night, even prior to any mods. Don't like bright lights at night. This is OTRATTW switches with the interior on the brightest. Same thing with interior dimmed to lowest. Camera was on manual mode so no change between the 2 shots.

I like that! Wish I found this panel when I wired up? Oh, well, maybe a new mod to do. :)

KlausVanwinkle 09-22-2014 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Vladimer (Post 3983694)
You can still put something in there, just not the oem switches. Here is how my video switch

Oh that's not too bright or bad. I live in the city so my brightness is usually all the way up unless I'm on a trip on dark back country roads.

Mos11b 09-22-2014 10:49 PM

I concur on A pillar

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/...psxjr3cqvq.jpg