Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wandering MyGig Map

Old 02-07-2008, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wandering MyGig Map

On multiple occassions, the MyGig in my truck has goofed up the mapping location, resulting in a wandering, lost map screen. I don't believe that this is a problem outside of the MyGig system, as this doesn't happen with TomToms and other navigation systems I'm familiar with. Twice it has happened when I was in a strange area and dependent on my electronic navigator. I think there needs to be some attention paid to fixing this issue, but I also think future updates should have a "reset" or "recalibrate" button so that we can force the MyGig system to attempt to update and correct itself ...
Old 02-07-2008, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wonder if you are not getting very good signal strength on the satellite reception. Maybe it's fading in and out causing your location to jump around?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racerx
I wonder if you are not getting very good signal strength on the satellite reception. Maybe it's fading in and out causing your location to jump around?
It happens for extended periods of time in wide open areas on the East Coast, where I've never seen any other system have problems ...
Old 02-07-2008, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check to see if you are connecting to any satellites. I had a similar issue, and had a bad GPS antenna. Had it replaced, and good to go so far. I have screen shots near the end of this thread...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/mygig-navigation-problems-6517/
Old 02-10-2008, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kcirrick
Have seen this on mine a couple of times. Once I saw it start to wander I checked and it saw no satellites. After it found them it was fine again. Once it only took a few minutes to recover and once it took an hour. Of course, I've just recently installed mine and haven't decided on a permanent location for the antenna so it just lays on my dash. Mistake. The magnet in my antenna messed up my compass. Now I have to recalibrate that.

I live in the mountains surrounded by tall trees and park in my garage so it sometimes takes a while to find the satellites. I pull out of the garage and check and see only one or two and sometimes zero. Usually, it quickly goes up to 6 or 8. I think it's easier for it to initially find the sats when it's not moving too.
So when it does drop to 1 or less sattellites and starts wandering, is it best to simply park? Stopping at a red light seems to be insufficient time to reconnect. Or is there a fuse I can pull to cause a recalibrate? This is why I'd like a reset button! When it loses signal for a couple minutes, I'm fine ... but when it loses for a half hour or more it can be quite challenging!
Old 02-11-2008, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been watching and it seems that it takes a long time (15 minutes?) before I find more than 1 or two satellites ... up until that point it hovers around 0-1 satellites. In hindsight, every time I've gotten really goofed up I've missed a turn and made a quick correction like a U-turn or similar, so I guess I'm causing it to get confused when it only has little or no signal. Is it normal for it to take so long to pick up 4-8 satellites? I've never seen that problem on a Garmin or TomTom? It just seems that this should work better ...
Old 02-11-2008, 02:10 PM
JK Junkie

Sounds like you have a bad antenna. usually if you are out in the open, it will take less than 30 seconds to acquire a signal. I'd take it to the dealer and have them replace the antenna to see if that corrects the problem.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gps

Originally Posted by cmcginnes
I've been watching and it seems that it takes a long time (15 minutes?) before I find more than 1 or two satellites ... up until that point it hovers around 0-1 satellites. In hindsight, every time I've gotten really goofed up I've missed a turn and made a quick correction like a U-turn or similar, so I guess I'm causing it to get confused when it only has little or no signal. Is it normal for it to take so long to pick up 4-8 satellites? I've never seen that problem on a Garmin or TomTom? It just seems that this should work better ...
you can find reports online that compare GPS 'warm' and 'cold' startup times, gernerally to get less time to locate you, its more $$...

You need at least 4 sats to locate a point, not 1... (and no, not 3, because triangulating your position would still leave 2 possible points) (one in space, one not) lol (although some can use only 3 and some common sense, like your JK is generally NOT flying 4 miles off the ground...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System

My old Garmin V took FOREVER to get a lock, with my new system, it seems faster to hold position until you get a lock, but who has time for that?!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is it unusual that my unit takes from 15-45 minutes to aquire enough satellites to function?

And if the antenna is bad, why would it work after 15-45 minutes? Frustrating ...
Old 02-12-2008, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

Mine has been doing the same thing; I am just hoping it's due to the poor weather we have had lately!

Quick Reply: Wandering MyGig Map