Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Waterproofing a Clock Spring?

Old 07-19-2018, 10:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterproofing a Clock Spring?

I’m new to the jk forum, but I have a 2012 2-Door Rubicon. Through the summer I go topless and doorless, and as many people on the forum have pointed out, the clock spring seems to be the weak point in terms of water resistance in the Jk interior. I replaced my clockspring about a year ago after a heavy rainstorm damaged it. As a result I’ve carried a trash bag with me to throw on when I park. But the other day the jeep went through some light rain and now my horn has stopped working. I haven’t taken it in to the dealership yet, but I suspect the clockspring may have been damaged. Assuming that is the issue and the clockspring does need to be replaced again, I would like for this to be the last time I need to replace it for quite some time. I figured if there were a way of waterproofing it beyond the trash bag that would be helpful, but the only thoughts I had to waterproof were perhaps a silicon spray on the electric connection points attached to the clock spring or some kind of shroud that would cover the steering column? Has anyone tried either of these ideas or found any success in waterproofing the clock spring?
Old 07-20-2018, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

There was a recall on the clockspring of earlier style interiors and they did basically what you're referencing. They've changed the steering column shroud to better protect the clockspring. I can't say how effective it is because I too have replaced my own clockspring and that's not a cheap adventure. I suspect my failure was from dust/ dirt intrusion which is what the shroud aimed to stop.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So you have an extended warranty on the clockspring. The 2007-2010 models have a recall. The 2011+ have an extended warranty. Recall = replaced for free regardless of condition. Warranty = dealership must diagnose that the clockspring has failed then they will replace for free.

Given you've replaced yours once (did you do the work or did a dealership do it?) you may not fall into the warranty category.

Karl is correct that the replacement (at least the one they put on my 2011) is designed with a bit more protection.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
So you have an extended warranty on the clockspring. The 2007-2010 models have a recall. The 2011+ have an extended warranty. Recall = replaced for free regardless of condition. Warranty = dealership must diagnose that the clockspring has failed then they will replace for free.

Given you've replaced yours once (did you do the work or did a dealership do it?) you may not fall into the warranty category.

Karl is correct that the replacement (at least the one they put on my 2011) is designed with a bit more protection.
Yes we had the dealership replace the clocksprong under the extended warranty after some back and forth, but they were reluctant to say that the clockspring was damaged from water until I assured them that I was positive that water is what caused the problem. I will be taking it into the dealership too have them diagnose the problem. Hoping it’s not the clock spring, but if it is again that tells me the clock spring replacement might not have been much of an upgrade.

Quick Reply: Waterproofing a Clock Spring?