Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wattage Question

Old 07-17-2009, 05:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wattage Question

I am looking to upgrade the factory stereo in my 09' JK ("X" model w/o Infinity System) since I could not even hear it the 1st time I had the top down on the highway.
My question is what do you think I need for wattage in order to hear it over the road noise? I am not looking for extreme volume and bass , just a little more clarity and volume.
I have been looking into the Alpine Power Pack which is rated at 4x45 RMS.
It seems small enough to hide under the dash somewhere and it would simplfy the wiring since I have a Alpine CDA-105 that a friend wasnt using, so I got a good deal on it.
Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated!
Love the forum! I am a new Jeep owner and this site has been a great source of info for me as I start to add things here and there!
Old 07-17-2009, 05:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend something in the 75wX4 RMS - 125wX4 RMS range...that ought to be nice, loud, and clear. You can usually find some nice 75x4 amps for good prices. The more you go up the better, but in my experience, 75w RMS is the minimum you want. Most HUs put out about 30-40w RMS for reference.

That's what I do though, a lot of people get 25-45w RMS amps all the time and they do fine too. Pretty much anything you get that's amplified will be better than what you have now.

Last edited by JackMac4; 07-17-2009 at 05:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Wattage Question