Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

What do you know about upgrading sound system?

Old 06-08-2017, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you know about upgrading sound system?

i have a relatively new 16 jku non/alpine sound system but does have the touch screen w/o nav. Can i add an after market sub/amp and how easy is it?? does the can/bus system work with adding something like that?

Thanks everyone...
Old 06-12-2017, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

They have a ton of knowledge and direct wiring kits and very easy instructions and a GREAT warranty.

Hit https://www.crutchfield.com/m_266150/Car-Stereos.html
Old 06-12-2017, 08:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CtSeaRay
They have a ton of knowledge and direct wiring kits and very easy instructions and a GREAT warranty.

Hit https://www.crutchfield.com/m_266150/Car-Stereos.html
He's not wrong. Lets be clear on your intentions here though. Are you just wanting to add a sub, or are you wanting to add power to the entire system?
Old 06-12-2017, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Only want to add an amp and sub that i already have. Sounds like it is a pretty simple plug and play huh?
Old 06-12-2017, 12:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dozer311
Only want to add an amp and sub that i already have. Sounds like it is a pretty simple plug and play huh?
It should be. If I remember correctly Metra or PAC made an adapter that can plug in line with the factory harness to give you as set of low voltage RCA outs. You'd run those to your amp and turn on the low pass filter on the amp.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Hey Dozer,

Crutchfield will do just the subs for your current system also.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a relatively new 16 jku non/alpine sound system but does have the touch screen w/o nav. Can i add an after market sub/amp and how easy is it?? does the can/bus system work with adding something like that?

Thanks everyone...
I revamped my entire system and am not a car audio expert. I pretty much ordered what i needed from xxxxxxfield because they have great support. I went with a pioneer touchscreen without nav...I use waze on my phone for that. Replaced all the speakers and tweeters and powered all and a 2 10' JL Audio sub box with a 5-channel alpine amp. The difference from the stock system to this new one is night and day. It took me a full day to complete but it wasn't bad. You need the right tools though. Do some research and I think you'll be fine. You will need a PAC harness to keep the factory steering controls but its all pretty easy. Youtube pretty much has detailed videos to do anything. If youre willing to take the time youll save a lot of money.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone...
I've done a fair bit of work, all reasonably easy but I isolated the entire system from the CAN. Would recommend looking into a new head unit so you can EQ the new sub more properly, probably net you a little extra power for the existing speakers as well and ready to go when you eventually come back around to replace those.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a clairion system with amp and Polk audio speakers from crutchfield works with my steering wheel controls and is loud enough to hear with the top down cost me around $350
Old 07-01-2017, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I added the Audio Source LC7i (http://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audi...-upgrade/lc7i/) so I can keep my OEM stereo. This helps convert the signal for use with Audio Jacks and all helps to restore the bass which is purposely downgraded in OEM radios.

Quick Reply: What do you know about upgrading sound system?