Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Where to tap in LOC for sub/amp install on factory HU

Old 12-12-2012, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Help! Where to add Line Out Converter?

Hey all

Current upgrades to stock infinity stereo:
Nitro amp Upgrade
Upgrade Soundbar speakers with Infinity Reference 6032si's

These two upgrades made a huge improvement to the fullness of the sound and really enhanced my highs/mids. I want to add some bass and being i have a 10" JL W7 and amp sitting in my attic with all the needed wiring, i figured that adding a low cost but quality Line Out Converter would be the most cost efficient way to reach my goal. I have no interest in replacing my Head unit as again, the components sound great (to me) and i just want to add back some bass, not win any contests.

I will be using a PAC Line Out Converter with remote turn on lead (PAC SOEM-T)

My question: Where to tap in my LOC?

I figured i would add it to the pre amp signal tapping in between the HU and factory amp. After doing some research, it sounds like with the way the infinity system is set up, i would lose volume control of the sub which is a no go.

So being that i need to tap in AFTER the factory amp, should i tap the front speakers, soundbar speakers, or tap into stock sub wiring harness? My thinking is the signal going to the factory sub would be the most "sub like" signal for me to use but i maybe wrong here...

Regardless of where i end up tapping it, my plan is to remove my factory sub/enclosure when using my JL and if i need to take the JL box out for cargo space (traveling) i can pop the factory enclosure back in.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Last edited by mpthompson84; 12-12-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been told that you can use the 4 wires going to your stock sub for a high level I put or for an LOC. that's just what I've been told and seems to me like it would be fine.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

I tapped into the driver side speaker right under the wheel. Panel comes right off and cut into those speaker wires. make sure you test the wires for right and left signals. For the power on signal (remote wire) I tapped into the 12v ignition right under the steering column. I also added a fuse in the remote wire just encase of any bad feedback that would mess up the canbus system. Once that is done run your RC cables down the driver side, I ran mine under the trim on the door through the gap on the seat belt trim and into the carpet on the sides of the truck. Same thing with the power wire, but on the passenger side. I currently have a kicker 250.1 amp pushing a 12" kicker CVT in a shallow mount truck box

Old 12-14-2012, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input. I called the loc manufacturer (pac) and the guy I talk to said that tapping into the sub wiring would be best as it is going to provide the best signal for the sub..which makes sense. the LOC I'm using has a remote turn on feature that just requires the unit to be connected to a 12v source. I heard from somebody else that I could just run the 12v wire for the loc off of the power terminal on the amp that will of course also have the power wire from battery connected to it. that seems easy enough...
Old 12-15-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

There are some amps that can allow you to "power on" with RCA signal as well, there is a switch on the side that you can change. Therefore you dont need to run a Remote Wire

Quick Reply: Where to tap in LOC for sub/amp install on factory HU