Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

windshield wipers won't shut off....

Old 07-27-2016, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by rmjeepthing
You can disconnect your neg. battery terminal, then go inside the jeep and step on the brake to reset your computer. let your jeep sit for 5-10 minutes, and hook the cable back up. See if that helps.... any codes pop up?
Hey I'm a single Mom with not a lot of money and I was 300 miles from home when my wipers started to act up as well as my headlights. I had no money at the time so I went online searching for help and your post did just that I signed onto this cite just to say thank you with tears 😭 Of appreciation Because I honestly would not have made it back home safely with out your help
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Old 07-27-2016, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GratefulLady
Hey I'm a single Mom with not a lot of money and I was 300 miles from home when my wipers started to act up as well as my headlights. I had no money at the time so I went online searching for help and your post did just that I signed onto this cite just to say thank you with tears 😭 Of appreciation Because I honestly would not have made it back home safely with out your help
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I still had problems months later after the post I sent:(! Until I found the problem. Mine was the plug in closest to the ignition. I used to run my c.b. in it! I found out later the computer in jk's are very finicky. Phone chargers in that plug would have the same results. I hope it works out for you. Cheers
Old 11-03-2016, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thank you sooo much!!!!!

I CANNot thank everyone enough for posting this simple but so useful thread and responding to it... I also had a ridiculous quote for fixing this problem, so came here to see if there was a cheaper alternative... I had the same problem as everyone else... Windshield pipers would not turn off, rear wipers would not work, could not turn off headlights and no blinkers.... I took of the NEG batter, hit the brakes... Waited 5-10 minutes and it has worked ever since... Thanks again... This. FORUM IS AMAZING!!!!!
Old 06-08-2017, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keeps coming back

Has anyone noticed that this issue keeps coming back?? I get this now every month or two... disconnecting the battery isn't solving the long term problem.

I now need to hunt for the cause... thx.
The following users liked this post:
CuzICan (09-14-2023)
Old 06-12-2017, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

If the neg terminal disconnect is not working, Search TIPM problems. The "fuse box" by your battery. It's a very complicated system with layers of circuits and I believe microcontrollers inside. It's the cause for "possessed wipers" and windshield washers emptying the entire reservoir onto the window. It's also amazingly expensive. I had the wiper/horn/headlight issue.
The first thing I would do is pull the connectors on the box and clean all of the contacts. Look for corrosion or dirty connections. Put dielectric grease on the connectors and reinstall. Take care in disconnecting the harnesses as to not break the locking levers. They are all color coded, so it's easy enough to remember what harness goes where. I haven't had the problem in 4 years since. If that doesn't work, it may be time for a dealer or looking into salvaged TIPM's.
-Chris
Old 06-12-2017, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RubiKean
If the neg terminal disconnect is not working, Search TIPM problems. The "fuse box" by your battery. It's a very complicated system with layers of circuits and I believe microcontrollers inside. It's the cause for "possessed wipers" and windshield washers emptying the entire reservoir onto the window. It's also amazingly expensive. I had the wiper/horn/headlight issue.
The first thing I would do is pull the connectors on the box and clean all of the contacts. Look for corrosion or dirty connections. Put dielectric grease on the connectors and reinstall. Take care in disconnecting the harnesses as to not break the locking levers. They are all color coded, so it's easy enough to remember what harness goes where. I haven't had the problem in 4 years since. If that doesn't work, it may be time for a dealer or looking into salvaged TIPM's.
-Chris
That's a pretty good idea, thx. I have low mileage, but more than half of it is offroad, thru high water, and Pismo dunes.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Also, confirm your battery voltage. I have seen them act very funny if your running at less than normal operating voltage. If you're due for a battery, that can cause the possessed jeep issues as well. A few min with the wire brush can help with contact issues.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default Worked for me as well.

I had similar/same conditions as noted above (non-stop windshield wipers, turn signals were a mess, etc.) I disconnected negative terminal, hit brake, and gave it some time - worked like a champ. Many thanks!
Old 10-23-2017, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

I had the same thing a while back. Could not find a solution, took it to the dealership, cost me over $500
Old 12-05-2018, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ChrisJ
I can't offer up any technical advice, but if all else fails, you could just move here to Seattle.
this made me literally LOL.

Had the same thing happen with my windshield wipers today so I hit a Google search wound up here –I started and stopped my jeep three times and on the third time they went back to normal.

Quick Reply: windshield wipers won't shut off....