Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

wipers on, no turn signals, headlamps on, no cabin lights...

Old 04-13-2019, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wipers on, no turn signals, headlamps on, no cabin lights...

2017 JKU Sahara - several weeks back - my son is driving it home from a ballgame and noticed the wipers come on by themselves, cabin lights / instrument panel lose their "dim control feature" and the headlamps are on (will not turn off) and unable to switch to brights. He says he jiggles the left multi switch a few times and it finally went back to normal.

Friday after school he calls saying it's doing the same thing. he gets home and I drive it around the block... the turn signal switch lost all functionality. Initially I could twirl the cabin light dimmer portion of the switch and get the wipers to stop and turn signals to work... then lost the ability to do that.

To date I have removed the battery cables and cleaned the connections and left the negative unplugged overnight (even tried stepping on the brake to reset an ECU ( who knows if this is even a thing on the 17s)... I have ordered a new left multiswitch, praying this resolves it. A Lot of research pointed to possibly a TIPM issue... but those all involved backup lights, ability to shift into drive or even start the vehicle.

Hoping the switch resolves it...anyone seen this or have thoughts?

--- history ---
I bought this Jeep a year ago as a rebuilt title (flood involved). Have had VERY few issues to this point with it ... but I can't take it to the dealership for service because of this.

JD
Old 04-14-2019, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The wipers coming on is rather odd since that is controlled by the right stalk. I would do the same thing and replace the turn signal stalk first and see what happens.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Hrmm , wipers are on the right stalk but they connect into the left stalk via a yellow ribbon cable. I debated replacing them both anyway... an extra 100$ though (aka about 3 seconds of a mechanics time). I may go ahead and get that on order too.

JD
Old 04-14-2019, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd replace them both if they're connected that way, Ive never actually taken the steering column apart and seen in there. Your problem is likely at that ribbon cable anyway.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

will update Tuesday night when the parts arrive.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:02 AM
JK Newbie

well replacing the left and right multiswitches (turn signal and wiper stalks) resolved everything. I went ahead and replaced both of them to be safe, didn't want to risk burning the left out by only replacing it, if the right had an issue. I paid about 150$ for both replacements from amazon... much less than even a diagnosis fee from the "stealership" (if I could even take it to them).

Thanks to all!

JD
Old 04-17-2019, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks. This is good to know!

Quick Reply: wipers on, no turn signals, headlamps on, no cabin lights...