Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring in a 50" light bar - where to run the wiring??

Old 12-07-2014, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wires run all the way down the inside of the bracket.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1678154318.jpg
Views:	2655
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	587205  
Old 12-09-2014, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any of you guys running 50" bars, have you ever done comparison pics between Rigid and cheap Chinese bars? I put a cheap one on mine, and it definitely throws out a ton of light, but are Rigids actually worth it?
Old 12-10-2014, 03:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by donnut
Any of you guys running 50" bars, have you ever done comparison pics between Rigid and cheap Chinese bars? I put a cheap one on mine, and it definitely throws out a ton of light, but are Rigids actually worth it?
I'm not sure about the cheap Chinese bars but I have had my FCK 40 inch light bar beside my friends rigid 50 inch and I thought that the 40 inch put out more light.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Septu
So I finally pulled the trigger on a 50 inch light bar, and expect it to arrive within the next couple of weeks. However I'm curious as to how people are wiring these in. I'm running Trailskinz pillar mounts (same as Poison Spyder, and most of the others out there), and they're fairly tight to the A Pillar, so I highly doubt I could fit the wiring behind the pillar mount. The only other option I see is to run it into the cab between the freedom panel and window frame. Once inside, I can just run it behind the paneling into the engine bay to my sPOD. However this doesn't exactly seem like a good idea. Especially as we get winter up here, where temps from Nov-Mar are always below 30f/0c. I fear ice making it's way into the cab with this option - however if I can't come up with anything else, I might just try it.
I have the eautogrilles mount for a 52" lightbar (both from ebay). I removed the outer black wire sheath about 6" from the lightbar. Snaked them under the mounting brackets (it is tight, but it will work), and used gorilla glue duct tape to "resheath" the wires at the bottom of the mount. Wires were fed under the cowl to the sPod. Tightened the mounting bolts on the A pillar and cowl. No issues after about a year.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Reepo
I have the eautogrilles mount for a 52" lightbar (both from ebay). I removed the outer black wire sheath about 6" from the lightbar. Snaked them under the mounting brackets (it is tight, but it will work), and used gorilla glue duct tape to "resheath" the wires at the bottom of the mount. Wires were fed under the cowl to the sPod. Tightened the mounting bolts on the A pillar and cowl. No issues after about a year.
I might have to do this. I initially fed the power wires (12g) under the mounts and wired in the long stock wire at the top of the mount. However 12g isn't big enough and it's getting very hot very quickly. Not sure why though... it's 240w and the stock wiring (off the light) is 12g.

Anyway I'm planning on re-wiring it in with 10g. But I don't think I could get 10g under the mount the same way (it's pretty tight with the 12g. Will see.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Bump

Bump... because I'm looking at a 52" LED Light Bar from Light Bar Supply and want to know how to run the wiring. If the wiring is too thick to fit under the mounting bracket, what do you do?
Old 11-13-2017, 10:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by JeeprCreepr13
Bump... because I'm looking at a 52" LED Light Bar from Light Bar Supply and want to know how to run the wiring. If the wiring is too thick to fit under the mounting bracket, what do you do?
Most the time those just come with a little pig tail and don't have this thick loom that travels all the way down. You can always splice and solder wire that will fit under the bracket. to get it down the a-pillar.

Quick Reply: Wiring in a 50" light bar - where to run the wiring??