Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring Additional Back-Up Lights

Old 08-05-2010, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wiring Additional Back-Up Lights

Colleagues,

I'm about to install my LoD rear w/ light kit and wanted to get some guidance on the best way to wire the rear back-up lights.

Should I just try and splice my way into one or both of the tail lights? Would this cause overall computer or line issues?

I am also going install a "plug and play" trailer wiring harness as well.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it's a bit of a pain to run power from the front, but I'd install a relay using the stock lamp as a trigger. You can just run a single fused power wire from the front and install the relay and grounds in the back.

If you're planning any rear accessory or stereo mods in the future, take the opportunity to run a larger power line than necessary (maybe 6 ga) to an aux power distribution block. This will make any future accessory install back there cake. You'll have the capacity to add a compressor or amps, etc. Maybe run 2 or 4 ga. if planning more than one major draw accessory.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring Additional Back-Up Lights

On my phone now so can't search easily. But someone did an awesome writeup on this with switches and relays etc. Could use in concert with backup lights or alone or turn all they way off.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jfreeddo
On my phone now so can't search easily. But someone did an awesome writeup on this with switches and relays etc. Could use in concert with backup lights or alone or turn all they way off.
I searched the forum far and wide and couldn't find it...I will definitely keep looking...
Old 08-05-2010, 07:20 PM
JK Super Freak

In order to wire your aux reverse lights to come on by using a dash mounted switch AND also be activated by shifting into reverse, follow the wiring diagram below. Note that you will need a relay with an 87A pin (available at napa). The factory reverse light wire you will need to tap is the white wire with gray stripe. Just remove the 4 screws that secure your tail light lens to acess the wires behind it. Locate the reverse light bulb and then find the white wire with gray stripe.

Here ya go...Excuse my shitty microsoft paint rendering
RELAY:
86: to ground
87: to aftermarket fog lights (white wire)
87A: to center terminal on switch
85: to white wire w/ gray stripe (factory reverse)
30: to battery with inline fuse

Old 08-05-2010, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

This thread has a nice diagram of how to wire it up with a relay

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show....php?p=1003666
Old 08-05-2010, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

many thanks on the replies...great information...

perhaps we should put this in the "write-ups" section?

also, does anyone have recommendations on where/what type to purchase wrt to relays and fuse blocks?

i'm a solid wrench turner, but don't know more than red wire "hot" and black wire "ground" when it comes to wiring...
Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 PM
JK Jedi

Look for the write-up by OnBelay. Her wiring skills rock and she lays out a great setup for the LoD rear lights using an on-off-on switch.

Edit: here is the link to her write-up
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?129807-LOD-Backup-Light-Installation-With-Three-Position-Switch

Last edited by Sharkey; 08-05-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeperaf
Should I just try and splice my way into one or both of the tail lights? Would this cause overall computer or line issues?
When I added additional reverse lights (stock ones are way too dim), I spliced straight into the stock reverse lights, and have not had any problems, both my new and stock lights light up when in reverse.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Wiring Additional Back-Up Lights

Originally Posted by westchester

When I added additional reverse lights (stock ones are way too dim), I spliced straight into the stock reverse lights, and have not had any problems, both my new and stock lights light up when in reverse.
I did the same thing
Works great and was painless

Quick Reply: Wiring Additional Back-Up Lights