Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Worries with Purchasing Tail Lights

Old 07-09-2018, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worries with Purchasing Tail Lights

Recently I’ve been searching for better lighting equipment for my 2016 JKU Wrangler. I’m going for the modern/futuristic look for tail lights, and I’ve come across these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073J943H4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_9jdrBbVNK8HJJ

These really appeal to me but the issues arise with the credibility of this company and the longevity of this tail light. I’ve done research but I can’t find this type of tail light design created by a credible manufacturer like JW Speaker, which worries me because I want a tail light that looks appealing and lasts a long time. If you guys have any experience with these sort of tail lights, Lite Way, or have seen these manufactured by a more credible company, let me know. I would really appreciate it. I’m on the verge of purchasing these and just replacing them later on because we all know tail lights that cost under $100 won’t last long and will have a plethora of issues.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OEM form factor LED tail lights are more or less a disappointment right now and it seems we do not have good options. The Lite Way LED tail lights have been known to fail after 12-24 months. Most end up with cracked housings or water intrusion. JWS has also had issues with cracked housings in their factory units, and they usually blame the installer for over-torquing the body screws.

It might be best to run tried and true *round* LED tail lights until which time we have durable options in the OEM form factor. Another advantage of the round lights is that they are more or less flush and you don't have to worry about cracking them on the trail, etc.

Quick Reply: Worries with Purchasing Tail Lights