Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

WTF... my key ISN'T in the ignition!

Old 04-23-2019, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default WTF... my key ISN'T in the ignition!

Park to get out the other day and the door chime is going nuts and tells me the key is still in the ignition. Red "alarm arming" light blinking non-stop above temp guage while driving and have to lock all doors by hand because fob won't work because the car thinks the key is in the ignition.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

What an annoyance. Anyone else? What is it? I need a master control module or what? Ideas?
Old 04-23-2019, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I'd start with trying to clean your ignition... perhaps spray the tumbler with electrical contact cleaner through the key slot and then blowing it out with some canned air.

If that doesn't work, I'd be looking at the WCM (wireless control module) as I believe it acts as the ground for the key in ignition chime.
The following users liked this post:
WaterRat72 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
I'd start with trying to clean your ignition... perhaps spray the tumbler with electrical contact cleaner through the key slot and then blowing it out with some canned air.

If that doesn't work, I'd be looking at the WCM (wireless control module) as I believe it acts as the ground for the key in ignition chime.
Thanks I will try to clean it out before going the WCM route.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone find a solution to this?
Old 09-11-2020, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like the ignition switch is stuck. Did you put the key back in and wiggle it? Also try your spare. This can be caused by a heavy key chain or a worn key.

Quick Reply: WTF... my key ISN'T in the ignition!