Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

XM Radio Install

Old 03-08-2008, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio Install

I went to install my XM radio onto my new Wrangler when I ran into a small problem. When installing XM I am using a XM direct connect which takes the radio attenna directly into the direct connect and then sends another cable directly to the radio antenna port on the back of the head unit. Unfortunately for me the the end of the radio antenna cable is not a simple metal tip like the majority of the other radio antennas I have come across, but what looks like a triax connector. Have any of you come across this problem and if so do you recommend any fixes? I thought I might be able to cut off the connector and attach a new one, but the back of the head unit will only accept this triax connector. Hopefully I don't have to waste a years subscripsion to SAT radio.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 4x4Gator
I went to install my XM radio onto my new Wrangler when I ran into a small problem. When installing XM I am using a XM direct connect which takes the radio attenna directly into the direct connect and then sends another cable directly to the radio antenna port on the back of the head unit. Unfortunately for me the the end of the radio antenna cable is not a simple metal tip like the majority of the other radio antennas I have come across, but what looks like a triax connector. Have any of you come across this problem and if so do you recommend any fixes? I thought I might be able to cut off the connector and attach a new one, but the back of the head unit will only accept this triax connector. Hopefully I don't have to waste a years subscripsion to SAT radio.
What type of radio are you trying to connect? Why don't you use the Aux. input on the front of the radio? You will get much better sound than using a fm modulator.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll second that you should use the AUX in not the FM modulator as it sounds 100times better and you will get no interference. It is also stereo instead of MONO.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Wow thanks for the help I now win the award for dumbest question of 08'. Just realized I had the Aux port on the front and now I will pull apart the dash again. I am still having a hard time adjusting from a YJ to a JK. Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:33 PM
JK Newbie

Default Wire it in directy to the Auxillary

Hi, I just installed Sirius into my 2008 Wrangler, and heres how I did it...

We mounted the Sirius Antenna on top of the Soundbar, in the center (I have a Freedom Top, which is fibreglass, so the antenna is protected, XM will have the same sort of antenna, probably a magnetic button type).

We routed the antenna cable, around the soundbar through the drivers side roll bar, over the top plastic interior windshield cover and let it hang over the rear view mirror.

Then, we routed the power and the mini stereo plug output (with a 3mm stereo plug extension cuz the stock one was too short) from the satellite radio receiver from the mount above the rear view mirror though the top plastic interior windshield down the left hand drivers side left interior windshield cover, through the top of the dash and into the center console..

then we cut the cigarette lighter attachment (not the power accessory, it's 12v constant direct to battery) and spliced in the satellite radio power.

then we took out the head unit and popped of the front face plate, took a mini stereo plug extension (one male and one female end) and cut off the male end and then ran the cut off end through the back of the head unit, and soldered it directly to the aux faceplate jack solder points, and bridged the aux connector switch connector) [if you don't bridge it, it won't work]

im in the process of doing a proper writeup with detailed pictures, but this is pretty much the barebones explanation, i've drawn a picture of what the back of the faceplate looks like and where to solder on the PCB)..

on the diagram, the solder joints in the red circle need to be bridged and the three solder joints in the black circle are the Left, Gnd, Right channels.

An easy way to test this, is to plug a male end into the front aux jack and strip off the other end of the cable, then test each wire for continuity with one of the dots, if you have continuity there on the left and right, then that's your left nad right.

hope this helps..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rough diagram.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	6998  
Old 04-11-2017, 12:56 PM
JK-Forum Editor

Default How-To Tuesday

Perfect topic for today's how-to article...
\Jeep Wrangler JK 2007 to 2015 How to Install XM Satellite Radio - Jk-Forum
Old 04-11-2017, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

......how so? It's easier and crazy cheap to buy a factory Sirius radio and install- done.

You editors really don't belong here much.

Quick Reply: XM Radio Install